SA Post Office could join SAA in succumbing to effects of COVID-19

Textile Guy

CAPE TOWN - The South African Post Office (Sapo) could join the likes of South African Airways (SAA) as one of the state-owned entities that succumb to the effects of COVID-19.

MPs received an update on the financial health of the entity on Tuesday night.

The Department of Communications and Digital Technologies briefed Parliament about its programmes and projects dealing with the coronavirus.

The department said there had always been systemic issues plaguing the Post Office even before the pandemic and lockdown.

Textile Guy

So, when last did you post a letter?

Are you waiting for anything from the puss office?

Will miss 'em??

Bandit

Other than renewing my vehicle license I can't think of a single other thing I've used the post office for. I mean, I had a PO Box for a couple of years but I ignored it because it only contained flyers and speeding fines.

biometrics

I have a PO Box in the city I got nearly 20 years ago due to moving frequently. But other than that I haven't used them in years or decades. Hard to remember when I last used them for anything.

I mean, who in his right mind would send anything through them of any value or importance. That's what couriers are for. ;) I can book and pay online for a courier and they collect and deliver door to door.

Textile Guy

Other than renewing my vehicle license I can't think of a single other thing I've used the post office for. I mean, I had a PO Box for a couple of years but I ignored it because it only contained flyers and speeding fines.
Yeah, that was about it for me last I was in a pussoffice.

Textile Guy

I have a PO Box in the city I got nearly 20 years ago due to moving frequently. But other than that I haven't used them in years or decades. Hard to remember when I last used them for anything.

I mean, who in his right mind would send anything through them of any value or importance. That's what couriers are for. ;) I can book and pay online for a courier and they collect and deliver door to door.

Agree ...

Pity though. The US have their Postman Pat electric cars cruising around.
Granted, there is alot more post - everything done on PC is also mailed.
The Postman Pat service works 7 days a week and is just so efficient .... bit like said courier service.

Urist

The post box in front of my house has about 3 letters in it.. think it's for e-tolls or something.
Been there for about a year.
They haven't been delivering e-toll letters lately, wonder if they've given up.
Maybe they can merge with the traffic department, because they're the only ones using them.

The_Mowgs

As if covid is the cause for saa and the post office being in shambles. Please try the other one because it was the ANC government's fault and only theirs.

Reactions: OCP

ForceFate_

I try to avoid PO as much as possible. They were already on a downward trajectory before COVID-19. The most recent interaction with them was when I tried to send some documents 100km from where I was at the time. I paid for that overnight delivery service courier thing (can't be arsed to find out what it's called) and waited. Over a week later (maybe more) the package hadn't reached its destination. After wrangling with front help desk people, I demanded to speak to a manager (K...). I was transferred to a lady who handled the case with absolute professionalism. She promised to investigate and make sure the package was delivered the same day. She called upon dispatching of package and followed up until it was delivered.

Unfortunately there must be more rotten apples judging by the number of complaints.

Textile Guy

After wrangling with front help desk people, I demanded to speak to a manager (K...). I was transferred to a lady who handled the case with absolute professionalism. She promised to investigate and make sure the package was delivered the same day. She called upon dispatching of package and followed up until it was delivered.

Unfortunately there must be more rotten apples judging by the number of complaints.

The thing is .... why did you have to go back again? Its that good old - IDGAF mentality, and its huge in SA.

ForceFate_

The thing is .... why did you have to go back again? Its that good old - IDGAF mentality, and its huge in SA.
I was close to the PO at the time and the docs were...urgent. The nearest courier was 5km away, in peak traffic.

Why not scan and email later? One of the docs needed to be an "original doc".

Last edited:

Textile Guy

SA Post Office limits international deliveries due to coronavirus
Bradley Prior11 March 2020

The SA Post Office will no longer accept mail to be delivered to several countries in Asia and Australasia due to the COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak.
The countries that the SA Post Office will not deliver to are:
  • China
  • Malaysia
  • Indonesia
  • Taiwan
  • South Korea
  • Sri Lanka
  • Vietnam
  • Bangladesh
  • Kuala Lumpur
Deliveries from these countries to South African recipients will also be delayed, the SA Post Office added.
This is because the airline carries used to transport packages to and from these countries are “unable to uplift mail due to challenges caused by the Coronavirus pandemic”.
“The Post Office will resume services once suitable arrangements have been made with different airlines and would like to apologise for the inconvenience.”

ForceFate_

H1N1 was still breaking news when they went down. They were on life support and didn't notice it until government decided to pull the cord.

Fargle

The fucking Post Orifice. I wouldn't trust them with a used condom.
They're going to be post alright...