DIY and other Projects

Tribs

I am repurposing this thread to include all DIY and other projects. Feel free to add to it.

Relaxing spot in the garden

I am keen to build a little relaxing spot in the garden. Something we can use when we want to escape the house. Probably be mainly me as most here are happy to stay indoors.

So I was looking around and found some ideas - and hope some of you will offer some feedback. I do want the area paved - but I want to keep the cost/spend as low as possible - but still end up with something nice looking and hard-wearing.

1614573353236.png

The area that I am thinking of doing this is in is above the pool, and due to shade for part of the day, grass doesn't grow.

1614573681741.png
1614573789442.png
1614574042746.png

Yes - I know that paving there needs fixing. There is a list as long as my arm of things that need repairing. We are getting to each of them (hopefully). But this is the area I have in mind for this project.

Any suggestions or comments would be welcomed.

Last edited:

Y2K

A firepit would be a great idea, I would only recommend you keep/replace the grass if you have someone who can maintain it, the edging needs to be trimmed weekly especially if you're going to tile an area.

bigAl-sa

If you want to spend time there, I would suggest seating with backrests. That second pic looks nice.

(If you're looking for a handyman type to do odds and ends, like paving, pm me. The oke that did my paving was top notch.)

Spizz

Make sure you maximise your shade. Maybe even a small lapa type thing with some latte across the top.

Tribs

A firepit would be a great idea, I would only recommend you keep/replace the grass if you have someone who can maintain it, the edging needs to be trimmed weekly especially if you're going to tile an area.
We had a trampoline there till recently

Reactions: Y2K

Papa Smurf

Those 1st 4 photos is a great idea @Tribs
Ive seen exactly that at our caravan site and after a year it has been moved around 2 or 3 times until the holiday makers on that site of theirs was happy with how it was positioned for the whole year. Rain, wind, sunshine, etc.

So i say go with that as a start and you will learn so much

spiderz

cut out the 2 cornifers and use the extra shaded space as well.

Tribs

cut out the 2 cornifers and use the extra shaded space as well.
I am planning on building a stick overhang that I hope to have covered with vines. Will try and find an example. Already removing all my palm trees - so in a deep depression about that.

bigAl-sa

I am planning on building a stick overhang that I hope to have covered with vines. Will try and find an example. Already removing all my palm trees - so in a deep depression about that.
Palm trees are a pain in the bum, Almost as bad as Giant Strelitzias.

Have you decided on a layout yet?

biometrics

The only problem I have with the pics @Tribs posted is those backrests are very low, it will be uncomfortable, needs to be higher or none at all.

Düber

My sister had something built that is similar to the last two pictures and while it is nice she said in hindsight that she should of got something she was able to move around.
Another thing she added was a trickling water "fountain?" over rocks in a wire cage, with that and the fire pit it is a really wonderful little spot in her garden.

Tribs

My sister had something built that is similar to the last two pictures and while it is nice she said in hindsight that she should of got something she was able to move around.
Another thing she added was a trickling water "fountain?" over rocks in a wire cage, with that and the fire pit it is a really wonderful little spot in her garden.
I was wondering about that - but those would just be in one part - I have moveable furniture for the rest
I just don't want to have to move stuff there everytime you want to use it