Recent tech purchases

EADC

Got it for R2,078.

Could get it from amazon.com for R1,689 but would wait a few weeks. Appears to be marked down currently.

Luckily my company paid for it.
I was just comparing what my phone cost here vs at home it's madness but that's all taxes really.

Johnatan56

Got it for R2,078.

Could get it from amazon.com for R1,689 but would wait a few weeks. Appears to be marked down currently.

Luckily my company paid for it.
Did you want it to be wireless? If not wireless, I'd have probably gone for a G815.

Good keyboards you keep for years, my K556 from 2015 (got it for R1k on special at the time, that keyboard is insanely good for its price imho) is still the same as when I got it, right now my sis is using it for work (I was using it at home and got a Cooler Master MK750 for work, and since moved to only work from home I just used the MK750 permanently and sis was using a cheap cherry knockoff, better than most membrane, still wasn't very nice).

I wanted to get the G915, but over R4k was a bit too much, and battery isn't "user replaceable", as in easy enough to replace but you need to peel sticker and getting the battery is iffy as custom, would refuse to get a wireless keyboard where battery is not easy to get.

Tribs

I also recently purchased a Muse S
1634100841389.png
1634100915709.png
Basically it tracks your vitals such as heartbeat, brainwave patterns, how relaxed you are etc. It is a meditation device which can be used while sleeping to see what quality you sleep is.

1634100998115.png1634101038961.png1634101068345.png
If you like data - you will love this!

Johnatan56

View attachment 29210
View attachment 29211
Basically it tracks your vitals such as heartbeat, brainwave patterns, how relaxed you are etc. It is a meditation device which can be used while sleeping to see what quality you sleep is.

View attachment 29212View attachment 29213View attachment 29214
That seems like a waste of money, what exactly are you going to change? You already know what is generally disturbing you/your hours are not great or whatever, so why stats to track it?

But now we can stare at your stats, very high heart rate for sleeping, back when wearing my fitbit it thought I kept being dead at times because it sucks at recording <60bpm. :p

Guessing you're still suffering from fitness problems and fatigue? Normal sleeping heart rate should be 50-70 usually in deep sleep, your heart rate while sleeping should dip down and then come back up. On average I have a high heart rate, I have high 70's/low 80's norm, when I go to sleep it started trending down and around 1/3 of the way through would drop below 60, past that point the watch was useless, then usually about two hours before waking up would start trending back up, hit around 65-70 before waking up.

Stopped wearing a watch to sleep when I woke up a few times due to it blocking blood flow if you move around in sleep and it rides up, this was still fitbit, so about 1.5 years ago, I've gotten fitter since then, but it's more been my heart rate now averages 73bpm according to my watch (right now while typing I'm at 74, about time for me to go for a run in 10 min), used to be around 78. I like the bpm on the watch as helps me measure how hard I am pushing myself while exercising, if I'm trying to do burst training, doesn't really make sense to me for sleep, otherwise stats are largely irrelevant.

Tribs

That seems like a waste of money, what exactly are you going to change? You already know what is generally disturbing you/your hours are not great or whatever, so why stats to track it?

But now we can stare at your stats, very high heart rate for sleeping, back when wearing my fitbit it thought I kept being dead at times because it sucks at recording <60bpm. :p

Guessing you're still suffering from fitness problems and fatigue? Normal sleeping heart rate should be 50-70 usually in deep sleep, your heart rate while sleeping should dip down and then come back up. On average I have a high heart rate, I have high 70's/low 80's norm, when I go to sleep it started trending down and around 1/3 of the way through would drop below 60, past that point the watch was useless, then usually about two hours before waking up would start trending back up, hit around 65-70 before waking up.

Stopped wearing a watch to sleep when I woke up a few times due to it blocking blood flow if you move around in sleep and it rides up, this was still fitbit, so about 1.5 years ago, I've gotten fitter since then, but it's more been my heart rate now averages 73bpm according to my watch (right now while typing I'm at 74, about time for me to go for a run in 10 min), used to be around 78. I like the bpm on the watch as helps me measure how hard I am pushing myself while exercising, if I'm trying to do burst training, doesn't really make sense to me for sleep, otherwise stats are largely irrelevant.
For you perhaps. But last night was a really bad one for me. Device registered 43% - I never went into the deep sleep stage at all. Spent most of the time in REM
I am trying to see how my state of mind affects my sleep - as well as all the other physiological stuff. And don't worry - I won't be sharing more of my graphs so you won't have to see them 😂 Though my average heart rate was 77bpm and dropped to 66bpm

Johnatan56

For you perhaps. But last night was a really bad one for me. Device registered 43% - I never went into the deep sleep stage at all. Spent most of the time in REM
I am trying to see how my state of mind affects my sleep - as well as all the other physiological stuff. And don't worry - I won't be sharing more of my graphs so you won't have to see them 😂 Though my average heart rate was 77bpm and dropped to 66bpm
Dumb question, what are you going to do about it?
Not saying the graphs are dumb or anything, personally just don't see point in spending money on it since not sure how to do anything about it. When I wake up I will know whether I slept well or not, outside of trying to diagnose something like sleep apnea, I don't really see how it helps anything. That's the problem I have with it, not that it's not cool to have stats, just the cost justification and that it probably disturbs sleep a bit having something tied to your forehead.

Blantyre

Anyone here can suggest a good Gorillapod and microphone for DSLR and mobile?

I have a Nikon D5300 and want to get some equipment that I can play around with and which will be a good investment. I'm a beginner so probably don't need anything too sophisticated, just something that is good quality and will not mess up my camera.

It would be great to have equipment that is compatible with camera and mobile as I work in the media and sometimes have to record spur of the moment interviews and photos with my phone.

Lara

Dumb question, what are you going to do about it?
Not saying the graphs are dumb or anything, personally just don't see point in spending money on it since not sure how to do anything about it. When I wake up I will know whether I slept well or not, outside of trying to diagnose something like sleep apnea, I don't really see how it helps anything. That's the problem I have with it, not that it's not cool to have stats, just the cost justification and that it probably disturbs sleep a bit having something tied to your forehead.
Knowing the exact problem helps in the treatment thereof.

Stats never lie when they aren't made up. ;)

It might also save you a bundle when going for sleep therapy and you just hand the doctor all the results.

Nicholas

View attachment 29210
View attachment 29211

Any one of us could have told you that you have a brain. :p

Does this device forward the information it gathers to your doctor? Have you spoken to your doctor about it, and what to look out for?

Tribs

Any one of us could have told you that you have a brain. :p

Does this device forward the information it gathers to your doctor? Have you spoken to your doctor about it, and what to look out for?
No it sends it to my phone. And no - it is not a medical device. But when I am getting up to 6 hours sleep and waking up tired, I would like to see if there is a lifestyle reason for it

Johnatan56

Knowing the exact problem helps in the treatment thereof.

Stats never lie when they aren't made up. ;)
Boy, you have never been in a proper stats class. I can gather the stats I want and justify any point, in my book it's a lie if a stat is purposefully misleading.
It might also save you a bundle when going for sleep therapy and you just hand the doctor all the results.
Usually you should set up something on your phone that measure noise or something rather, and then tests for e.g. blood iron levels, that type of thing. I don't know any doctor who specializes in that, only know from GP and Paediatrician side, rest of docs I know specialize in other things that would not really touch on sleep (outside of two ENT's, but then that you'd pick up doing a check of nose and throat, you'd not do the sleep data stuff).

SlinkyMike

View attachment 29210
View attachment 29211

This is super cool! Can you tell us more about how you intend to use it? Context: daily mindfulness practitioner for over ten years. Super interested about the applications for mediation practice.

SlinkyMike

Recently upgraded from an Apple Magic Mouse to a Logitech MX Master. Night and day, just a totally different human interface model. I am very happy with the switch. Way too long with that POS mouse from Apple. WTF.

1636619693809.png

Tribs

This is super cool! Can you tell us more about how you intend to use it? Context: daily mindfulness practitioner for over ten years. Super interested about the applications for mediation practice.
I use it to see how life affects my meditation. I already know how meditation affects life, even though I have only been doing this for a few months. I like data so I find it fascinating to see that I was more relaxed than I thought I was. That my mind was calm. It also helps me to be present. I have trouble with being present in my life.

I have trouble with sleep. Not getting to sleep but that I wake up tired. Even if I have 5 or 6 hours or more - I still feel the same. So it is interesting to see that it tells me I hardly go into deep sleep cycle. I spend a lot of time in light and REM. So I am trying different practices to see if I can improve that - and I can. I thought that no screen time before bed would have a bigger effect than it did. So now I don't feel bad about working late. There are certain sounds during sleep meditation that have a negative effect - ones I thought would be relaxing.

If I feel that I had fun during the day, that I laughed a lot, my sleep is a lot better. Normally my quality is below 49%. Was 27% once even. But if I make time to have fun - my sleep has gone into the high 60%s. I also have found out that I feel optimal after 4 hours of sleep if I wake naturally. If I force myself to go back to bed - then I am a wreck for the rest of the day.

Mainly I use it as a guide to see that my meditation is being done correctly - it also motivates me to do it. It is so easy for me to skip - life is busy and like today, it began at 4am when a cat had a fight with mine next to my bed. The birds in the app are nice - a good motivator. And they are always adding new content. I am doing some of the training meditations too.

But I don't only use the Muse - I do Sam Harris's Waking Up program too