Recent tech purchases

EADC

I’ve got a pair. Absolutely love them.

I have not given them a proper listen as yet, but the noise cancelling is amazing and the I sound is growing on me so will get used to it.

mikewazar

Last edited:

Johnatan56

1628941539400.png
/waits

Mic is because current mic constantly adjusting noise gate has annoyed me too much, and it's super cardioid so picks up behind a bit as well, so keyboard, expensive at 160 EUR but can do multiple pickup patterns, range is good, impedance is good, has 48kHz/24bit audio, so "future proof" since 24bit is pretty much lossless, so expecting this to be the mic I use for the next 5 years.

Earbuds is since earphones I currently have have no mic, need some with a mic, and those are cheap enough that are not in-ear so I can use while walking (in-ear I have the issue that it magnifies sound from walking, bone conduction) in summer since headphones in the sun aren't great, 80 EUR.

Wallet is not tech, just need something to hold cards and a few notes, current slim wallet is falling apart, was a free gift a few years ago, it's just for when I don't want to carry a full wallet and need e.g. ID since bank etc. are all on phone and can tap and pay, and was "cheap" at 18 EUR.

Johnatan56

@Johnatan56

View attachment 27955

Do they only play German music?

:p
Nah, means where the warranty is, e.g. if you buy German version from UK, you can't give it to Samsung UK to service, you need to send it to Samsung Germany.

Quite stupid imho, should be agreement between the regions that they just pay each other or something. Lenovo and Dell both have that in place, go to any of their service centers and it just matters it's a device from their brand.

That said, Dell is warranty with a device attached, it only works in South Africa because everyone else uses Part Serve and there's pretty much no one worse than Part Serve.

Dave

Some outrageously mad people out there. The seller can’t even have the phone in his possession yet.

DEC14F95-2BC3-4376-8107-7498EA20F407.jpeg

Johnatan56

View attachment 27954
/waits

Mic is because current mic constantly adjusting noise gate has annoyed me too much, and it's super cardioid so picks up behind a bit as well, so keyboard, expensive at 160 EUR but can do multiple pickup patterns, range is good, impedance is good, has 48kHz/24bit audio, so "future proof" since 24bit is pretty much lossless, so expecting this to be the mic I use for the next 5 years.

Earbuds is since earphones I currently have have no mic, need some with a mic, and those are cheap enough that are not in-ear so I can use while walking (in-ear I have the issue that it magnifies sound from walking, bone conduction) in summer since headphones in the sun aren't great, 80 EUR.

Wallet is not tech, just need something to hold cards and a few notes, current slim wallet is falling apart, was a free gift a few years ago, it's just for when I don't want to carry a full wallet and need e.g. ID since bank etc. are all on phone and can tap and pay, and was "cheap" at 18 EUR.
So:
Blue Yeti X:
- Really nice microphone, love the fact that the audio indicator has a light that turns yellow to say your gain is too high, and can see how loud my voice is etc.
- sounds good, there are settings like the Sherpa app that are all right, but require the app to always be open to be enabled so I don't really bother, the default sounds pretty good. Later on I will fix it up with voice input since that's passive/doesn't need to be open in the system tray
- build quality is great, full metal, base is also metal. Would still recommend you get a mic boom arm, but the stand is also full metal.
- the headphone port on it is also great, you can change it so that you can hear your own voice, but you can also have PC audio go out to it and then set % for game vs your own voice playback. This is great for checking how loud you are vs application audio, and I use it to check at the beginning before work call to make sure my settings are all good (as I run through software, so knowing if it's e.g. broadcast messing up or mic gain wrong makes it faster to diagnose, broadcast has a tendency to randomly die if running full load for a while (so camera background replacement, video denoise, mic noise reduction, room echo reduction with the echo one being what usually kills it)

Would definitely recommend them, think you won't swap these for a very long time.

Samsung Galaxy buds live:
- not sure, I think my left ear is a little too small, so it does become slightly painful to wear after ~3 hours, but could also be ears still getting used to since fit is generally fine, it's just skin becoming tender, and originally started hurting after ~1 hour, today was the 3 hours (did a 12 km walk with hour rest halfway).
- fit is really nice though if you put it in right, it's a bit annoying to get in correct to begin with, but once in these are super light and you can actually forget you're wearing them (I accidentally put on a headset while wearing them...)
- audio is really good for the size, great for low, but that makes the "okay" mids and highs stand out as not being that great, issue is no custom equalizer, but if set on dynamic it brings back the mids and highs so is good.
- call quality is actually really good, I still need to test with wind, but BT connection was pretty stable, and audio quality was actually generally decent, you can use these for work calls without an issue. It does slightly lower background noise while you're speaking so your voice isn't drowned out, but it doesn't totally remove
- the noise cancelling, can't tell if gimmick or not. For someone like me who uses a PXC 550 and have used some Bose QC's, it's "meh", but then after using for a while I realized it's actually good at blocking lower range sounds, e.g. subway it did noticeably reduce tram sounds. If you've never used ANC before, it might wow you, and for how these are not in-ear/good isolation, it's actually pretty great.
- gestures work pretty well, besides when inserting, accidental touches are not an issue, only had one case since I got it, but that was me rubbing the bottom of my ear, so don't really count that, and there's another setting I haven't used that supposedly helps against accidental touches.
- latency on windows is actually fine, you can play most games without issue like Risk of Rain / Smite where audio sync doesn't need to be perfect
- windows sonic spatial audio works quite a bit better on it for me than my PXC 550's, on those I can't tell where left/right if set to BT (I can without issue with aux, so think it's the implementation that is an issue)
- Note Windows 21H2 will bring AAC support to Windows, currently SBC is forced, AAC is higher bandwidth and a bit lower latency (around 150-200ms vs 300-400ms), so BT headphones should improve for everyone. Android AAC support is crap in terms of latency, you can thank QC for that.
- Fit for these is great in terms of movement, I started headbanging etc., have done exercise with them, they don't shift at all, so would definitely recommend for gym and would use for cycling as well (though I would only use them for directions, but if ANC off sound passes through well enough for awareness
- case is great, very small, love the small light, shade of green/orange/red changes based on how fully charged
- software in wearables is great since the face lift a few days ago, also really nice for my watch
- quick connect is also great, open the case, if no device previously paired it will show up and ask to connect, also on windows.
- you can connect to earbuds individually and only wear one
- voice commands with google assistant work fine, I use long touch for it on right, can do volume control, launch spotify, etc., and left side ANC, don't really need pass through as if pause music and ANC off you can hear everything fine.

Would generally recommend as long as you have a good return policy place you're getting from or can borrow from a friend to try them out, if your ears are too small, you have to send back, they're going to be useless, do use the fins if large ears and do look at a video of how to insert (insert horizontal, then twist as vertical as you can).

Dave

biometrics

A cheapie, but a goodie.

View attachment 28447

As simple as anything to setup and use. And it works with Syncler like it was made for it. Oh yes, it also does Netflix, Disney, and Prime Video that I do pay for, I just prefer Syncler for everything being in the same app.
For how long will it work?