Recent tech purchases

Johnatan56

Bought new phone

5g speed test

View attachment 26789
Nice, for some reason the providers here charge extra to "activate" 5G, but have a clause of up to 150Mbps if you do, 2 EUR.
I get 75/30Mbps, based on my signal strength I am about 600m or so from the tower, but quite densely populated here and lots use mobile data instead of cable for internet (uncapped 40/10Mbps mobile is 20 EUR/month), think my speed cap is due to that wanting to go more premium.

They're only rolling out 5G next year, my provider HoT is a "virtual" one, they rent out from others, Magenta is the main one they rent infrastructure from, so guessing cost prohibitive for now until more people upgrade to 5G devices.

Map coverage:
1624788545439.png
Might be the solution I end up using for our house in the countryside, 5G coverage is supposedly 150m from our house there, will ask if they can upgrade the one tower right next to us as would cover the entire street if they do.

1624788794363.png
Is their pricing, friend has the 500/50Mbpsin the country side and gets around 450/50Mbps even during peak evening, so seems to be working fine.

Hope South Africa rolls it out nicely to smaller towns where fiber doesn't make sense.

Johnatan56

I don’t much like the supplied case, I’ve ordered these:

View attachment 27144

I’ll send you the pink one FOC if you want it ;)

and this

View attachment 27145
Forgot to mention, if you haven't already, do check out the lock-screen gestures.
You can draw on the locked screen to do actions, e.g. swipe down with two fingers to play/pause music, > or < to skip track, and then you can custom bind certain apps/actions to O, V, W and another form, e.g. my O is open FF on a new tab, and V is Telegram.

biometrics

Forgot to mention, if you haven't already, do check out the lock-screen gestures.
You can draw on the locked screen to do actions, e.g. swipe down with two fingers to play/pause music, > or < to skip track, and then you can custom bind certain apps/actions to O, V, W and another form, e.g. my O is open FF on a new tab, and V is Telegram.
On my 6t V is to toggle the camera LED.

Dave

Thanks for the reminder, I did know about it but forgot to configure past the 3 finger screenshot.

On my 6t V is to toggle the camera LED.

You should be able to custom configure them. It was also available on my old 7 Pro.

113DFC40-A02F-4A00-AC41-C830080DE0F8.jpeg

biometrics

Thanks for the reminder, I did know about it but forgot to configure past the 3 finger screenshot.

You should be able to custom configure them. It was also available on my old 7 Pro.

View attachment 27167
Sure, but that's only one that really interested me. Double press of the power button launches the camera though I think that's standard in Android.

Johnatan56

Sure, but that's only one that really interested me. Double press of the power button launches the camera though I think that's standard in Android.
Pretty sure it isn't the right gesture in regards to standard, that power button one is while phone is on, usually it's volume down twice while screen is locked.

For the Nord, hold the power button to launch assistant, though no real need as can have permanent hey google listening if voice match set up, nice for controlling the lights.

biometrics

Pretty sure it isn't the right gesture in regards to standard, that power button one is while phone is on, usually it's volume down twice while screen is locked.
Double pressing power with the screen off, on but locked or on launches my camera.

Düber

The power button also opens the camera on my phone too. (a Blackview, Android 10)
I was this day old when I learnt...

Johnatan56

Double pressing power with the screen off, on but locked or on launches my camera.
Think I need to rephrase:
- power button twice while screen unlocked for camera
- volume down twice while screen locked (or on lock screen)

Blantyre

Got the pack of three USB type C charging cables from Takealot again for R90.

Quality may not be the best but they definitely useful especially if you have family/friends who have a habit of borrowing cables and not returning them.

EADC

Took the plunge and bought the Sony WH-1000XM4, not sure about the sound as yet.