R.I.P. Thread

Nicholas

From Des and Dawn fame? My parents used to listen to them. Two little boys is the song I will never forget of theirs.
They wrote songs for children, too. We used to borrow a record of their songs back when I was living in Queenstown in the 1980s.

satanboy

Please welcome Dawn Lindberg to the thread. RIP to her and condolences to her bereaved.
Their first album, Folk on Trek, was promptly banned on the grounds of obscenity because of dubious lyrics to the nursery rhyme, ‘Mary Had a Little Lamb’, and the Negro Spiritual, ‘Dese Bones Gonna Rise Again’. They went on appeal but lost the case, and all copies of the album were ordered to be destroyed – but some die-hards hid them, and thankfully, there are still copies in existence today. In 1973 they produced the groundbreaking musical, Godspell, the first multiracial show to be staged publicly in South Africa.

With a segregated South Africa still existing, the show’s multiracial cast was forced to rehearse on the lawns of the Lindberg’s magnificent Victorian mansion for the grand opening at a theatre specially built for them at the Holiday Inn in Maseru, Lesotho.

Godspell & The Supreme Court
When they decided to bring the show to South Africa, it was promptly banned by the censors on the grounds of blasphemy. Des and Dawn took the case to the Supreme Court, and they won after the show was allowed one performance so that Judge Lammie Snyman and the censors’ legal team could view it.

I always thought of them as wholesome family entertainment. :D

Tribs

Let's not forgot the millions of other humans whose deaths are not publicised. The death of a friend or family member is more painful than that of some celebrity for most of us, I would expect.
Though I really cried when Robin Williams and Chester Bennington killed themselves. I also cried when XXXtentacion was shot. I suppose when I am connected strongly to the talent of certain people, it hits you hard when they are gone. Knowing that you will never again hear something new from them. They really enrich the world we live in.

Nicholas

Their first album, Folk on Trek, was promptly banned on the grounds of obscenity because of dubious lyrics to the nursery rhyme, ‘Mary Had a Little Lamb’, and the Negro Spiritual, ‘Dese Bones Gonna Rise Again’. They went on appeal but lost the case, and all copies of the album were ordered to be destroyed – but some die-hards hid them, and thankfully, there are still copies in existence today. In 1973 they produced the groundbreaking musical, Godspell, the first multiracial show to be staged publicly in South Africa.

With a segregated South Africa still existing, the show’s multiracial cast was forced to rehearse on the lawns of the Lindberg’s magnificent Victorian mansion for the grand opening at a theatre specially built for them at the Holiday Inn in Maseru, Lesotho.

Godspell & The Supreme Court
When they decided to bring the show to South Africa, it was promptly banned by the censors on the grounds of blasphemy. Des and Dawn took the case to the Supreme Court, and they won after the show was allowed one performance so that Judge Lammie Snyman and the censors’ legal team could view it.

I always thought of them as wholesome family entertainment. :D
Some religious folk get mighty touchy and feel compelled to take offence on their god's behalf.

Tribs

Nope :ROFLMAO: But his Instagram posts from bed were ledgendary
They actually were. He would create videos on positivity. After all the trouble he had been in and caused, after his jail time, he changed tracks. He started to help people with similar problems, helped them find alternative ways of coping. He had done some really despicable things at the beginning of his career - but he did much to try and atone. His music style was unique and revolutionary. Pity most of his songs were so damn short. They felt like complete excerpts. But they were still amazing. And if you felt that darkness rising - watching his antics made the fade somewhat. Well, for me anyway. He was an acquired taste.

Quetzalovercoatl

Nope, not gonna say RIP 2020, or even mourn it.

Just gonna say "good riddance" and look forward to a better year with 2021.

May all the bad guys get seri-assly gassed out in 2021.

LD50

Let's not forgot the millions of other humans whose deaths are not publicised. The death of a friend or family member is more painful than that of some celebrity for most of us, I would expect.
This is not a fucking sorrow and pain thread.

This is a remembrance thread aimed at celebs and now celeb criminals.