PC Building Thread

BloodrayneZA

Ok I'm a bit confused.

What constitutes a 1st, 2nd and 3rd Gen CPU? I'm looking at compatibility lists for AMD Ryzen CPU's and Memory QVL to make sure the motherboard supports what I'm wanting to get to build a new PC.

And then for the GPU, I feel that I should go for an AMD graphics card to go with the Ryzen. As it is, I have a few choices but never sure which one is better.

I am on a limited budget so will be putting money away every week til I reach my target - it is better to save up instead of paying on credit as then it ends up costing more than it is worth it.

Last edited:

satanboy

256270824_3073726419562129_7442269986063449141_n.jpg

257771829_3073726516228786_6009892638825744347_n.jpg

Düber

I took my old man to the ophthalmologist again today and sadly there is not much they can do for his vision. His sight has blurred, some days are better than others.
His computer is his connection to the outside world with him mainly reading the news and looking after his shares, all with smallish print. He currently has a Samsung 22" monitor. (just a normalish thing, not sure of the model)

My question is, would it be better to go for a larger monitor or rather a higher definition one to crispen up the text?

biometrics

I took my old man to the ophthalmologist again today and sadly there is not much they can do for his vision. His sight has blurred, some days are better than others.
His computer is his connection to the outside world with him mainly reading the news and looking after his shares, all with smallish print. He currently has a Samsung 22" monitor. (just a normalish thing, not sure of the model)

My question is, would it be better to go for a larger monitor or rather a higher definition one to crispen up the text?
Both I guess.

Düber

Both I guess.
I see both 4k and UHD being used, are they not the same thing?
Would a high refresh rate make a difference?

To go bigger would a large TV be an option?

Don't know much about this stuff only what I read in the threads and those are usually focused on gaming and I guess my aim is a bit different.

slayer

Large and higher resolution is going to end up with small text, unless you use the scaling feature..

24" FHD monitor with scaling should suffice.. walk into a makro, Game, computer mania, incredible connection and play around with the scaling on the monitors they have on display.. whatever they have on display should all be FHD in this day and age..

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

Düber

Large and higher resolution is going to end up with small text, unless you use the scaling feature..

24" FHD monitor with scaling should suffice.. walk into a makro, Game, computer mania, incredible connection and play around with the scaling on the monitors they have on display.. whatever they have on display should all be FHD in this day and age..
That is probably a good way to go.
Nearly the same thing, 3840 vs 4096 wide.
(y) Thought so, my Google fu was letting me down.