PC Building Thread

Icemanbrfc

Guys, you look like a nice bunch on here lol..help me help my son. Who is upgrading and want to get rid of some parts? Its his birthday on the 30th June. He has like an i3 something, with a Gigabyte GT660
Gfx card and like 4GB ram. Anything that might be able to make the system better? Not sure why its making some crappy sound at start up. Thinking either fans or something else causing the noise, dust or something..

Y2K

Guys, you look like a nice bunch on here lol..help me help my son. Who is upgrading and want to get rid of some parts? Its his birthday on the 30th June. He has like an i3 something, with a Gigabyte GT660
Gfx card and like 4GB ram. Anything that might be able to make the system better? Not sure why its making some crappy sound at start up. Thinking either fans or something else causing the noise, dust or something..
I think you'd have better luck on Carbonite to be honest. It will depend on what generation the CPU is for example i3 4170 where the first digit indicates the generation. The RAM would do a better job with 8GB instead of 4GB, it also depends what he uses the system for. School/gaming etc. I would say the best upgrade you could do without any prior knowledge of his system would be an SSD, it'll breath new life into the system and make it feel a whole lot snappier. If you have no idea how computers work and are trying to make a logical purchase I recommend you to link us to the places you're looking to buy from.

AntiThesis

Did this whole parade after 12 years of a faithful Intel. Now with replacing the stock stuff with Noctua it's so much quieter as well and I can manage to be in the same room with it.

WRT thermal paste... flow and heatsink are going to ultimately make much more of a difference but hell it feels good to get the stock stuff off and put on your own. For me, no build feels complete without it.

spiderz

So, except for wootware, where else can I look for components to build a new pc?

slayer

Evetech and titan-ice.. Just hope you don't run into issues that require after sales support from evetech.. very much hit and miss on after sales support..

Last Post Wins, winner

C

CataclysmZA

Not if you leave the pc on 24/7. I’m a technician and know it is better to have it done properly.
AMD's stock thermal paste is actually of a high quality. You'd have to be spending serious money to get better performance out of an aftermarket paste, and at that point you might as well be buying a tower cooler instead.

C

CataclysmZA

You should look into that noise at startup. Commonly it's the PSU that's old and busted, but there could be other causes.

As for upgrades, you are limited. Given the GPU, it sounds like this is a Core i3-530 or thereabouts. There are cheap upgrades available to Core i5 and Core i7 chips, but the age of your motherboard will dictate if it's going to handle the increased power draw at this stage of its life. BIOS updates will also determine how well upgrading it will go.

The easier upgrades are RAM, to 8GB or 16GB (if compatible), as well as an SSD.

If you want better advice, download Speccy, and then click File > Save snapshot, and upload that file here.