PassMark Performance Test

Lara

The only test that managed to push the needle off zero was the SSD test...
My i7 died a month ago, and I'm stuck with a 12-year-old Toshiba lappy, with an i3, 8 gigs of memory and an Nvidia mobile 310m.
At least it hides behind the desk and all I see every day is my lovely 27" Dell screen.
SSD makes a world of difference in performance. I have a NVMe card and it is miles ahead of the post here. :D

Papa Smurf

SSD makes a world of difference in performance. I have a NVMe card and it is miles ahead of the post here. :D
Agree 100%
The 1st upgrade anyone must do is a SSD for Windows, and it doesnt even have to be the fastest one out there. I was blown away when I put an SSD into my work computer 7 months ago which is an i3 4th gen !!!!!!!

biometrics

Agree 100%
The 1st upgrade anyone must do is a SSD for Windows, and it doesnt even have to be the fastest one out there. I was blown away when I put an SSD into my work computer 7 months ago which is an i3 4th gen !!!!!!!
I got a 60 GB Samsung SSD with my Lenovo X300 in 2008. Just the SSD alone was priced at R10,000 back then. Worth every cent.

Papa Smurf

LOL
But I think we can ALL agree the easiest upgrade option is go SSD (y)

Then get best GPU you can afford

Only after that go MOBO, CPU & RAM which is already gonna be >R10k

I dunno, but this is what I did and I am blown away at this piece of kak I have, every single game I have installed is running on Ultra settings on my 60Hz monitor (except Microsoft Flight Sim as it wants a very powerful CPU)

dabean

Ooooo I remember having LAN co-op parties - Half-Life Deathmatch was fun!!!

It was.

I think my first ever LAN game was Duke Nukem 3D. Doom, Hexen, Rise of the Triads. The Quake series.

Quake 3 was my favourite. Duels. Sit spectating until you get your shot at the top, then get your ass handed to you specatacularly.

I entered a competition here early-2000s at an internet cafe. First prize was a Geforce 4 - MX440 IIRC.

Man I was tense for that first game. DM6 and I get the worst spawn on the map. Shotgun spawn, by the pillars.

I get the shotgun, grab the shards, figuring I've lost the rest. See the Red Armour. Grab it. Kill other person with 2 shotgun shots.

I couldn't switch off. I think I won that first game 64:-12 in 15 minutes (or something ridiculous like that). The fear/anticipation had me locked in.

The final against the friend who invited me was much closer. DM6 again (that's the map we all agreed on), but he had me 0:6 at first. The pivot point was a rail from at the bottom with the shards to the level where the railgun is. He'd done the bridge-to-rail, I timed my flick perfectly for the moment his head poked up. People actually cheered.

I took control of the map for a while after that and I think I won 13:10 or something like that.

Spizz

Lol. We used to dial into each other to play Doom. Quakeworld changed everything though. Levelled the playing field.

Papa Smurf

What the fuck are you okes talking about
I just finished solitaire now

Image result for solitaire gif

Sinbad

And for shits I'm running it on my oooooold laptop. This may take a while