Paranormal Talk

Jings

I know the feeling. I recently discovered I have Aphantasia, probably as a defense mechanism. When I lost my mind I saw impossible things (in my opinion). My recent magic-mushroom experience felt very familiar. I just try to stay calm and go with the flow these days.

I think my mother was an undiagnosed paranoid-schizophrenic so I'm not sure if it's nature or nurture. I really do believe I'm already dead, so I try to enjoy the good times while they last.
Which impossible things did you see when you lost your mind?

Jings

Spirits mentioned a quote from a short sci-fi book by Alfred Bester called The Demolished Man, if anyone is interested. The quote is "There will be joy again."

Nicholas

I know the feeling. I recently discovered I have Aphantasia, probably as a defense mechanism. When I lost my mind I saw impossible things (in my opinion). My recent magic-mushroom experience felt very familiar. I just try to stay calm and go with the flow these days.

I think my mother was an undiagnosed paranoid-schizophrenic so I'm not sure if it's nature or nurture. I really do believe I'm already dead, so I try to enjoy the good times while they last.
Sometimes words pop into my conscious mind. It doesn't happen often. If I remember them long enough, I sometimes write them down.
"Wait - what's in there?"..."They're alive, but barely."

"If I could show you the multiverse rendered in a form intelligible to the human brain, it would be as a mass of foam and bubbles...."

dabean

Which impossible things did you see when you lost your mind?

Dinosaurs in the living room stand out. It was like seeing multiple realities at the same time. Everything was made of other living things (at different scales/timescales). Hard to explain.

The shower became a portal for me. I convinced myself that temperature was influencing which reality I saw. I took around 20 showers one day, slightly changing the water temperature each time, trying to find the "right" dimension.

Each new piece of information was like turning a gear which immediately changed my perception of reality. See/hear/read something then *click* everything I've ever experienced takes on a different meaning. Like having rows of statues in my memory and shining a light on them from different angles changes the shape of their shadows (which were all I could perceive).

It felt like I was living (and dying) in multiple branching time-lines at times, only to return to the moment after I left. Thankfully I never became violent, I didn't care how many times I died as long as I ended up back here. Way too many story-lines to recall/recount.

It lasted around a week (according to my wife) before I was booked into a wellness clinic. She said it was like living with someone permanently on acid. I've never done LSD but mushrooms felt very familiar, just less visual.

dabean

Have you heard of "Cotard's Syndrome"?

No, I googled it now and don't think that's what I have exactly. I think I've just given up trying to explain/figure out what's going on.

That and actually remembering waking up "dead", where people took me back to points in my life where I was being a dick and asked if I'd like to change them. I'd say yes, then get to live the moment over again (and mostly just say nothing/stay calm). Eventually they asked if I'd be happy with my life like that and I was.

I've since experienced around 10 of those moments (I usually tell my wife when they happen, she's used to my madness), so there isn't much that'll convince me I'm not already dead.

Being happy with the way it turns out eventually consoles me, then I remember to enjoy it this time around.

Nicholas

I managed to meet most of my aspirations within the first nineteen years of my life, [I repeated standard 9, so matriculated at age 19.] and did not expect to live much longer beyond that, having already had a few near brushes with death. It isn't the same as feeling as though I am already dead, but it does feel as though everything since my nineteenth year has been bonus time.

It's good that you have someone you can talk to about it.

Jings

No, I googled it now and don't think that's what I have exactly. I think I've just given up trying to explain/figure out what's going on.

That and actually remembering waking up "dead", where people took me back to points in my life where I was being a dick and asked if I'd like to change them. I'd say yes, then get to live the moment over again (and mostly just say nothing/stay calm). Eventually they asked if I'd be happy with my life like that and I was.

I've since experienced around 10 of those moments (I usually tell my wife when they happen, she's used to my madness), so there isn't much that'll convince me I'm not already dead.

Being happy with the way it turns out eventually consoles me, then I remember to enjoy it this time around.
Sounds like you've had some incredibly informative, introspective experiences, albeit scary for you and your wife.

Doesn't it seem like life reviews, mentioned in popular near-death phenomenon, that you undertook during your moments of feeling dead? Many people who have reported experiencing a life review said they left the afterlife feeling better for it.

Jings

@Nicholas same here with sudden thoughts or words that pop in my head. Some I generally have an awareness of the words having significance at a later time.
Have you experienced that effect too?

Nicholas

@Nicholas same here with sudden thoughts or words that pop in my head. Some I generally have an awareness of the words having significance at a later time.
Have you experienced that effect too?
Not so much. As gratifying as it would be for me to know that I am someone special*, for every thought I have had that might appear to have been prescient, there are many more that have not been. I put it down to the law of large numbers. [Or my limited understanding of it.]

*I would guess that most, if not all, people would like to have extraordinary talents, to be the hero of their own story. [If everyone, or almost everyone developed special abilities, would they still be special?

Jings

Not so much. As gratifying as it would be for me to know that I am someone special, for every thought I have had that might appear to have been prescient, there are many more that have not been. I put it down to the law of large numbers. [Or my limited understanding of it.]
Nothing special, we are naturally prescient. Some are just more aware than others.

dabean

Sounds like you've had some incredibly informative, introspective experiences, albeit scary for you and your wife.

Doesn't it seem like life reviews, mentioned in popular near-death phenomenon, that you undertook during your moments of feeling dead? Many people who have reported experiencing a life review said they left the afterlife feeling better for it.

I had to google "life reviews". Similar, but I didn't get my whole life flashing before my eyes. This was just bad moments, not good ones.

I still feel bad about lots of things which never technically happened (I still remember them). Definitely positive in the sense that I won't let my emotions/insecurities dictate my actions.

I try my best to appreciate every moment now.

Seldom Bucket

I had to google "life reviews". Similar, but I didn't get my whole life flashing before my eyes. This was just bad moments, not good ones.

I still feel bad about lots of things which never technically happened (I still remember them). Definitely positive in the sense that I won't let my emotions/insecurities dictate my actions.

“It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.”
- Terry Pratchett

Last edited:

Jings

For interest sake I asked during a session where your "life reviews" came from and this is the reply I wrote in the journal.
5132f751594c0f3d625790f100deaf03.jpg

Jings

@Jings
Do you believe in hauntings?
Yes, two types of hauntings - interaction with physical dimension and the other, people's dreams and thoughts.

Feels like your wife has talked to you before about certain experiences. Is this true?

satanboy

Yes, two types of hauntings - interaction with physical dimension and the other, people's dreams and thoughts.

Feels like your wife has talked to you before about certain experiences. Is this true?
Nope. She has never had any paranormal experience.