Online Dating

scudsucker

Nelson Mandela
Jacinda Ardern
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
Gandhi had some faults which prevent me from being impressed with him - he was racist, supported the caste system etc, but that did not stop me respecting him for his significant political acumen.

I visited his ashram when I visited Ahmenadabad (Gujarat) It is now a museum, and is quite honest about the negative parts of his personality (liked to lie next to young women, but was "chaste"?)

I am glad I went.

Blantyre

From what I have heard of her from my friend in New Zealand, Jacinda Ardern is an exceptional politician.

True, I have the utmost respect for her. The one great thing about her as well is that she has caused the toxic segments of the SA expat community in NZ to be uncomfortable.

Blantyre

Interesting article on this topic. While I don't think the amount of couples that meet online in SA is as high as in the US, it is definitely higher than we think and chances are that we all (especially from middle-class households) know someone from our circles who met online. They usually just lie about it.

Blantyre

Moved to Japan now. Tried Tinder and the only girls I match with are hookers and it is likely their VA's responding. The fact that I'm a brown guy does not work either, haha. It seems like it only works if you are white here when it comes to locals. I probably have to try and meet people in real life.

scudsucker

Moved to Japan now
Wow. That is cool. Good luck.

Plus, the Japanese appear (from my research *) to have so many weird weird sexual fetishes that pomping a guy with brown skin should be quite tame for that country.

* i.e. I am suprised that there is not an app called Tentaclr

Tribs

No, last few times we chatted it was clear to me that she wasn't into it anymore so I just stopped and so did she.
I am sorry to hear that. But from what I see, there are plenty of women that are interested in a committed relationship - just not sure what quality they are. I suppose you are safer if you target your own age range - the younger ladies seem rather damaged and not sure you need that in your life.

<<paragraphs deleted>>

There was a lot I was going to say - but I have decided it was better not to.

Blantyre

How'd that happen?!

I decided to take a job as an English Teacher but am in a rural area where few speak English and I don't speak Japanese either.

I've been trying to get back onto the scene (not much experience and it's been a whole more than three years now) since I even went on a coffee date. Basically I've got dates from apps before but it is rough here, lol. The only ones I get are hookers and I even hired a lady to curate my profile better as I thought maybe that is the issue. It has not helped so far but I'm not exactly good looking either so these apps are probably also skewed towards good looking guys.

Nicholas

curate my profile better
I can relate.

Writing about yourself can be difficult. Sending a message to someone who piques your interest even more so.

I hope you have tried more than Tinder.

Blantyre

I hope you have tried more than Tinder.

The apps are very difficult to navigate for men these days unless you are extremely good looking. I have to go through hundreds of matches just to get one and even then, it hardly ever leads to good convos.

Nicholas

I feel that being able to write and maintain a profile and begin a conversation is the most difficult part of this for me. I think it's why I nuked my OKCupid account.

Blantyre

I feel that being able to write and maintain a profile and begin a conversation is the most difficult part of this for me. I think it's why I nuked my OKCupid account.

I went on a date with a lady from OKC a few years ago. It was one of the few that progressed to the second date. In the end, it turned out she was interested in going on dates because she was getting new experiences and I was paying for everything. Fortuntely I realized it early and cut her off after the second date.