On the topic of snow, here's a question

Dave

I was going through some photos and found this, what would be the relevance of this UK photo in the snow to this forum? And maybe a guess as to where it is.

687909E6-BDE7-43A7-A690-C267FD9B1B68.jpeg

Last edited:

Tribs

I was going through some photos and found this, what would be the relevance of this UK photo in the snow to this forum? And maybe a guess as to where it is.

View attachment 9999
I guess the statue is a memorial of someone who died in SA? Or commemorates the Anglo-Boer war ? Cannot zoom in well to see what it says.

Dave

I guess the statue is a memorial of someone who died in SA? Or commemorates the Anglo-Boer war ? Cannot zoom in well to see what it says.

You aren't supposed to be able to zoom in, but good guess, it's the South African War memorial. There are actually two of them in the area and a third across the river in Newcastle (I presume a lot of locals must have been involved).

Spizz

You aren't supposed to be able to zoom in, but good guess, it's the South African War memorial. There are actually two of them in the area and a third across the river in Newcastle (I presume a lot of locals must have been involved).

Working men from working families. Or cannon fodder as they are known to the toffs.

There's plenty of them in Scotland including a big one in the middle of the local park in Hawick where my mum lives.

boer.jpg

Spizz

They went a bit more fanciful for the one in the local park. This is what they built there. Erected in 1905.

View attachment 10013

Stunning. I am so drawn to these memorials with a mixture of fascination, horror and sadness. Even the smallest little town has a memorial to the young men killed in action. It’s so sad when you see the memorials and look around at the beautiful places they left never to return.

This is the 1st and 2nd war memorial in the same park in Hawick.

3a6141513621d67b6ba9da7b7b40b56b.jpg

And in between the two memorials, the legend Bill McLaren who hails from the town has a memorial to all the battles he witnessed on the rugby field

bdcd6ad31ffcd18c47cc3086be747bd0.jpg

Dave

This is the local WW1 and WW2 memorial, it's apparent the citizenry of co. Durham, (as it was then) had a bit of spare cash to build quite an imposing cenotaph.

A92EE28F-F088-4A38-AD44-33B924D8BE1C.jpeg