New Samsung Screen

biometrics

I'm running 1080p here at work on both 27" monitors and love it. Then again I am 49 and have outlived my peen. So size matters when it comes to old age
I'm using a 27" Dell at 2560x1440. Pixels are nearly the same size as a 24" HD and I have a lot more usable space.

BloodrayneZA

Cancel it and get the 24". You're deaf not blind. Save yourself the 50 pounds. Will help the budget.

27" at HD is kak, just huge pixels.
A bit late to the game. It’s already ordered and due for delivery 15th January

I have a tv in my room with chrome cast plugged in and it’s a 32” screen so it will be fine as I expect my GPU to be able to handle the scaling.

BloodrayneZA

Now that I think about it a 27" QHD costs probably double that of a 27" HD, so you might not want to do that anyway.
Yeah I should have gone with my gut telling me to go for a 24” screen as almost all of the Samsung ones support full hd 1920x1080p and I honestly don’t really need a bigger screen. I got the tv for steaming while I’m in bed and screen for gaming, studying, work and etc...

BloodrayneZA

I got the screen yesterday - I decided at this point, you can't cancel the order as it's been already processed and on delivery already. My housemate says if I'm not happy with it, he will come with me to return it to York where it came from as I'll lose the £5.99 delivery fee which is ok with me.

I quite like how it plays out in games and streaming but I'm undecided on using it for social media platforms as the font looks a bit funny - I guess I'm just not used to clear crisp text and outlines. I've also set up the ClearType as well - it makes little difference and I've gone into my default browser to set up the fonts and sizes. Makes very little difference.

Honestly it looks great for gaming and streaming though. I guess I'll just have to put up with this "font" thing and get used to it.

You're deaf not blind.
Lol you're the 2nd person to have said that to me. My housemate was the first.

biometrics

I got the screen yesterday - I decided at this point, you can't cancel the order as it's been already processed and on delivery already. My housemate says if I'm not happy with it, he will come with me to return it to York where it came from as I'll lose the £5.99 delivery fee which is ok with me.

I quite like how it plays out in games and streaming but I'm undecided on using it for social media platforms as the font looks a bit funny - I guess I'm just not used to clear crisp text and outlines. I've also set up the ClearType as well - it makes little difference and I've gone into my default browser to set up the fonts and sizes. Makes very little difference.

Honestly it looks great for gaming and streaming though. I guess I'll just have to put up with this "font" thing and get used to it.

Lol you're the 2nd person to have said that to me. My housemate was the first.
As mentioned the pixels are larger, in order of pixel size:

27" QHD (2560 x 1440): 0.233mm, 109 ppi <<-- mine
24" HD (1920 x 1080): 0.276mm, 92 ppi <<-- yours previously
27" HD (1920 x 1080): 0.311mm, 82 ppi <<-- yours now

So effectively you have the same desktop, just zoomed up from 24" to 27". So the fonts are larger and the pixels more obvious.

biometrics

May I suggest next time you ask for advice you give it more than 1.5 hours before deciding. Post #1 vs post #14.

BloodrayneZA

May I suggest next time you ask for advice you give it more than 1.5 hours before deciding. Post #1 vs post #14.
Yeah I know, my housemate told me to hurry it up and I told him it takes time. He’s not the most patient person at all.

so now if I’m not happy after the weekend, I’ll go get the smaller one.

BloodrayneZA

Another con I want to point out is that I'm sensitive to bright light and the whiteness on this screen is quite bright. Ideally for a 27" screen, you need to be able to handle bright light. I have adjusted the brightness meter to 50% but it hasn't made much of a difference. I think it's the size. I might go back next week and have it exchanged for the smaller screen.

Johnatan56

Another con I want to point out is that I'm sensitive to bright light and the whiteness on this screen is quite bright. Ideally for a 27" screen, you need to be able to handle bright light. I have adjusted the brightness meter to 50% but it hasn't made much of a difference. I think it's the size. I might go back next week and have it exchanged for the smaller screen.
Turn on night light, will yellow stuff.

During the night I usually put my monitor down to 20-30%, it's nice having the option to go higher, and especially useful if there is a lot of light from behind.

In your case I'm pretty sure it's not because the monitor is bigger (though it's a little bit of a factor), it's more that you came from a really bad display to an okay one, the budget monitor segment got a lot better the last 2/3 years and one of the main improvements were most back lights being better/now able to operate at higher nits. I would hazard your old monitor was 200 nits (cd/m^2 of luminance, so how much light per square meter), new one is probably a max of 300 nits. It will probably be something like the new monitor at 50-60% brightness will be the old monitors max since it will have a more even shine.

I suggest you download clickmonitorddc or monitorian (https://github.com/emoacht/Monitorian) and then quick adjust the brightness as needed between content.

As mentioned the pixels are larger, in order of pixel size:

27" QHD (2560 x 1440): 0.233mm, 109 ppi <<-- mine
24" HD (1920 x 1080): 0.276mm, 92 ppi <<-- yours previously
27" HD (1920 x 1080): 0.311mm, 82 ppi <<-- yours now

So effectively you have the same desktop, just zoomed up from 24" to 27". So the fonts are larger and the pixels more obvious.
There's more to a monitor than just pixels, color accuracy, ghosting, etc. all matter as well, but yes, I much prefer a 1440p over a 1080p display at 27".