Virtual Reality Things

Moosedrool

Got VTOL two days ago, https://store.steampowered.com/app/667970/VTOL_VR/
Graphics are "okay", but not actually bad. The workshop content is amazing though, and you can play this MP with a mod.
This is of course all recorded on the quest, so crappy right eye only at 720p, so worse quality than it actually is.
View attachment 29793
View attachment 29803
Above is tutorial, below is desert sand mod.
View attachment 29801
View attachment 29802

All dashboard and stuff is interactable, this game is played sitting.

Someone made a video explaining how to fly:

Johnatan56

Yes and no, it's not the same thing.
The graphics in flight sim are way better, you can get more planes and stuff, but it's not really the same.

With VTOL, the entire game is designed around VR, you are interacting with all the controls with your own hands/controllers, you can integrate pedals and stuff if you want, but the actual things like controlling navigation stuff, setting your autopilot settings, navigating through weapons and stuff, all of it is you interacting with your dashboard, it's a completely different experience and makes the immersion great.

Flight Sim in VR is great, so is VTOL, they both stand out for different aspects. That said, I can't run flight sim in VR nicely, my PC isn't good enough to do that double resolution with an RTX 2060, just normal flight sim I usually get like 50-60fps, going too low in VR will make me feel ill probably so not trying it.

Moosedrool

Yes and no, it's not the same thing.
The graphics in flight sim are way better, you can get more planes and stuff, but it's not really the same.

With VTOL, the entire game is designed around VR, you are interacting with all the controls with your own hands/controllers, you can integrate pedals and stuff if you want, but the actual things like controlling navigation stuff, setting your autopilot settings, navigating through weapons and stuff, all of it is you interacting with your dashboard, it's a completely different experience and makes the immersion great.

Flight Sim in VR is great, so is VTOL, they both stand out for different aspects. That said, I can't run flight sim in VR nicely, my PC isn't good enough to do that double resolution with an RTX 2060, just normal flight sim I usually get like 50-60fps, going too low in VR will make me feel ill probably so not trying it.

There is DCS. Or you can be drunk shibas and do this:

Moosedrool

Got MSFS a few weeks back and was bored yesterday so I made a demon bird cat thing livery for the Pitts special s2-s.

photo_2021-12-28_00-22-25.jpg

photo_2021-12-28_00-27-58.jpg

Because why wouldn't I.

Moosedrool

That ship has sailed. Hit me up…

I dig cartoon animals. Hence the phrase furry is used to describe a fringe group of people like this. But it gets deeper and resulted in a whole fanbase where people create and consume content on the inside which makes it pretty tricky to describe. This fanbase has literally taken over VRChat which I find kind of hilarious.

biometrics

I dig cartoon animals. Hence the phrase furry is used to describe a fringe group of people like this. But it gets deeper and resulted in a whole fanbase where people create and consume content on the inside which makes it pretty tricky to describe. This fanbase has literally taken over VRChat which I find kind of hilarious.
Lol, guess I don’t see the attraction.

Moosedrool

No. I don't think the current generation is for me. Maybe in a few years.

Also I don't like the sensory deprivation of my environment, think it will make me paranoid, living in SA afterall.

What do you think will happen to Zuckerberg's metaverse thing?

biometrics

What do you think will happen to Zuckerberg's metaverse thing?
Imo it will flop:

1. He is not trusted
2. It's not going to be open to other companies
3. You need expensive hardware
4. He needs to monetise it

Moosedrool

Imo it will flop:

1. He is not trusted

Vaporware.

We're going to build this amazing thing. Meanwhile VRC users are sitting there crying with laughter. Ah poor Mark doesn't have the slightest idea what he's in for.

The issue with social spaces can be seen at how many of these spaces actually gained success. And then asking the question why.

Johnatan56

Imo it will flop:

1. He is not trusted
1. By those who understand, not everyone else. And I still got a quest as there is no alternative at that price bracket.
2. It definitely will be in this case, that's why the rush to be first. Metaverse will be a platform for other things to be built on, it's an attempt at VR Chat but everything else attached as well, so jump directly into games from there (e.g. Steam Home), be able to order takeout and stuff, all that will integrate.
3. It's not that expensive due to subsidies, and price might come down even more, at $300 it's less than what a lot of people spend on a phone, and the headset should also last 2/3 years at the very least, FB will support it for quite a while.
4. Not difficult, see 2.

FB has the corporate size to dominate that market, to set the standard, as long as they are just a little bit better, their brand recognition will carry them through. The biggest hurdle FB has is that EU and US are finally worrying about the privacy issues.

I really want e.g. automatic IPD sliders and the performance improvement that comes from being able to render where I am looking at a higher detail, but I really don't want it to be used for adds and stuff, so not going to get that, which is sad.

Moosedrool

1. By those who understand, not everyone else. And I still got a quest as there is no alternative at that price bracket.
2. It definitely will be in this case, that's why the rush to be first. Metaverse will be a platform for other things to be built on, it's an attempt at VR Chat but everything else attached as well, so jump directly into games from there (e.g. Steam Home), be able to order takeout and stuff, all that will integrate.
3. It's not that expensive due to subsidies, and price might come down even more, at $300 it's less than what a lot of people spend on a phone, and the headset should also last 2/3 years at the very least, FB will support it for quite a while.
4. Not difficult, see 2.

FB has the corporate size to dominate that market, to set the standard, as long as they are just a little bit better, their brand recognition will carry them through. The biggest hurdle FB has is that EU and US are finally worrying about the privacy issues.

I really want e.g. automatic IPD sliders and the performance improvement that comes from being able to render where I am looking at a higher detail, but I really don't want it to be used for adds and stuff, so not going to get that, which is sad.

In a virtual world ads will be on billboards, banners, you name it.

I don't see how a company who's never featured in the field of gaming will come even close to the already existing virtual landscape. Especially on a promise instead of a product. Sure they know the social boards and messaging concept really well but they're platform is severely antisocial compared to a VR experience. Not only that but the existing winners heavily rely on a push towards creativity and creation. Meta is 100% consumerism. They even bought out celebs to try and attract attention.

Also:

lz73lt6clow71.png

They really don't know people. XD