Virtual Reality Things

Johnatan56

Even HL Alyx has a horror element too it. Funny how they said this isn't a horror game and tried everything to not make it one. But here's Jeff anyways.
Tbh, the first part of HL Alyx has been one of the scariest VR games for me, just because of the atmosphere, the part just as you jump into the train and have to open the bar to move to the next carriage. After that it's fine.

Recently been playing a lot of Pistol Whip again, the first campaign is still better (absolutely love the no guns run), but the new campaign isn't too bad.

Moosedrool

Building VRC worlds this side. And bashing my head against the desk cause Unity is absolute rubbish.

photo_2021-08-23_11-17-38.jpg

Last edited:

Johnatan56

Building VRC worlds this side. And bashing my head against the desk cause Unity is absolute rubbish.

View attachment 28212
Dunno, at this point if the game is for personal and you don't think you'll ever really make money off it, would go with the early access version of Unreal Engine 5, mostly because of the Quixel additions: https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/...xel-megascans-unreal-studio-features-and-more

EDIT: I see https://forums.unrealengine.com/t/niagara-render-broken-in-vr-with-instanced-stereo-on/131049/21 interesting, so Epic is just ignoring VR basically.

Moosedrool

Dunno, at this point if the game is for personal and you don't think you'll ever really make money off it, would go with the early access version of Unreal Engine 5, mostly because of the Quixel additions: https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/...xel-megascans-unreal-studio-features-and-more

EDIT: I see https://forums.unrealengine.com/t/niagara-render-broken-in-vr-with-instanced-stereo-on/131049/21 interesting, so Epic is just ignoring VR basically.

Have UE5 early access but is kinda boring if people aren't interested. so I stick with what people go to.

Johnatan56

Recently been playing a lot of Pistol Whip again, the first campaign is still better (absolutely love the no guns run), but the new campaign isn't too bad.
Managed to rank 99th in the world last week, from a few ten thousand people's runs, lol. The top 120 spots seem to be quite close to each other, think I can probably do better, but don't care enough.

Going to be playing:

Been a long while since I last touched a Myst game.

Moosedrool

Well you can and it's greater than Unity IMO. The thing about UE is utilising hardware very efficiently so their selling point is stuff like real time global illumination, nanite, actual working POM mapping and so forth.

VR alone requires almost 3 times the performance to render the same scene so you're limited in that all the things UE tries to get rid of (optimisation wise) comes back 3 fold.

The VR community aren't as well versed in C++ and memory management as well so they stick with the easier solutions that gets the job done. It's a shame cause you'll definitely be able to produce higher quality content with UE.

derp

@Moosedrool and others, I'm probably going to buy an Oculus Quest 2, do you think it's still worth getting now or waiting for a new one? I'm super tempted.

My one question is if I need a compatible USB cable for Oculus Link, or can I just use Air Link?

Also, would you recommend any accessories for now? Ordering from Amazon and considering just ordering the Quest 2 without anything and then later seeing if I need accessories.

Last edited:

biometrics

@Moosedrool and others, I'm probably going to buy an Oculus Quest 2, do you think it's still worth getting now or waiting for a new one? I'm super tempted.

My one question is if I need a compatible USB cable for Oculus Link, or can I just use Air Link?

Also, would you recommend any accessories for now? Ordering from Amazon and considering just ordering the Quest 2 without anything and then later seeing if I need accessories.
@Johnatan56 also has one iirc.

Sinbad

Any decent USB-c cable is usable.

I got mine with the case. I believe the headband with built in battery makes it a more balanced arrangement on your face...

derp

Hmm now seeing rumours of Quest Pro announced at the next developer event in October. Wondering if I should wait until then, but the Pro may be pricey..

Sinbad

Hmm now seeing rumours of Quest Pro announced at the next developer event in October. Wondering if I should wait until then, but the Pro may be pricey..
If nothing else, the quest 2 might get cheaper

derp

Yeah, will see what happens then. If there's and expensive pro version, I may still get the 2.

Johnatan56

Wait, end of month is FB connect, new Quest Pro should come out, should influence pricing as well hopefully, and due to import and stuff, the price difference will probably be <R2k so will likely be worth taking instead.

Right now I have this strap:
I would highly suggest you get one, it will make you be able to handle a longer playtime, the cloth strap is terrible and due to shifting etc. will make it so focus doesn't stay right, so your eyes will tire a lot faster/headache, etc.
You can also get the Occulus one, but I only suggest that if you are also getting the battery pack.

I am trying out:
But can only give feedback maybe Friday, once I get back to Vienna and use it, just arrived while I was gone.

There are some titles you should play first before you do things like phasmo, walking in VR you have to get used to. I suggest buying some ginger ale for the first few times you play, it helps you with nausea a bit. After a few weeks you won't have any issues anymore, affects everyone differently though. I can give a list at a later time if you want, need to go again.

Any decent USB-c cable is usable.

I got mine with the case. I believe the headband with built in battery makes it a more balanced arrangement on your face...

Stream over WiFi, no point in USB C cable. Same quality and cable gets in the way.

EDIT: Quest Pro pricing is rumored at $350-400, but it will be an incremental update, better lenses basically, good chance of better controllers (that should work behind your back), but no real changes to hardware/away from XR2 chip, so Quest 2 and Quest Pro will both play the same games/last till the same time.

Last edited:

derp

Cool! I'm hoping Oculus announce some expensive version instead of a Quest 2 replacement, so I can buy the Quest 2 and don't have to wait ages for the new one to launch!

Johnatan56

Johnatan56

Got VTOL two days ago, https://store.steampowered.com/app/667970/VTOL_VR/
Graphics are "okay", but not actually bad. The workshop content is amazing though, and you can play this MP with a mod.
This is of course all recorded on the quest, so crappy right eye only at 720p, so worse quality than it actually is.
1636155265100.png
1636156035632.png
Above is tutorial, below is desert sand mod.
1636155704144.png
1636155771899.png

All dashboard and stuff is interactable, this game is played sitting.

Someone made a video explaining how to fly:

Last edited: