Virtual Reality Things

Johnatan56

So what is the best hardware deal atm?
Quest 2 by far, the adds are coming now in some games, so would always check which ones.
Virtual Desktop is still the best, but issue is that FB bought a lot of VR devs, so you'll see a lot of those games be on the headset itself instead.

Quest 2 only lacks field of view, fine IPD adjustment, and the controllers are "worse". The knuckles have better finger gestures, you only have index and middle finger for Quest 2 with the buttons.

That said, the Index controllers have a tendency to break very easily.

Advantage of the Quest 2:
- Price, I would suggest get a separate strap, the base one is garbage, worth the extra as cloth strap shifts it so over time your focus is off
- Resolution
- On-headset stuff, e.g. Eleven Table Tennis is better since latency is super important there
- Wireless streaming
-- Virtual desktop SSW (Synchronous Space Warp) so can half frame rate on PC and then interpolate the frame on the Quest
- Hand tracking - Handful of games that support it, but some just do it amazingly well, https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/2280285932034855/?locale=en_US
- No base stations. Way quicker/easier to set up
- slightly better lenses
- note that FoV, you will have a sharper image on the Quest. Personally prefer the Quest 2 for it since I play games where e.g. looking down scope or something is more important, if racing I would prefer the Index.

Refresh rate on both is similar enough (Quest 2 now has 120Hz support if enabled dev settings, VD supports it, battery life goes way down though, do not suggest without external battery pack, personally keep it on 90).

I wouldn't get the Quest 2 right now though, so many Index 2 rumors/leaks, so maybe we'll see something announced by Valve soon. Really hope Valve comes in with a $600 headset, it will open up the market quite a bit.

EDIT:
Just wanted to elaborate on the 90Hz a bit, note if your PC can't handle a frame, it will skip a frame, so it will be the equivalent to dropping to 45Hz for a frame, that can cause nausea if happens too often, that's why the SSW is so important. Allows me to up the graphics a little bit and not worry about under 90 drop.

Note as well Nvidia has a setting in control panel to help make center of the frame get priority, forgot what it was called, do enable that.

Last edited:

derp

Didn't realise how affordable the Quest 2 is. I think I will probably buy my first VR when the Quest 3 comes out, if it stays at a similar price point.

Johnatan56

Didn't realise how affordable the Quest 2 is. I think I will probably buy my first VR when the Quest 3 comes out, if it stays at a similar price point.
It should, but I doubt you'll see a Quest 3 before end of 2022 at earliest and more likely early 2023.
FB has plans to ramp up production and sell 8-10m units next year, versus the 2-3m this year.

There might be a Quest Pro next year, think that's more probable.

The XR2 in the Quest 2 hasn't been fully utilized yet, most of the stuff is still software side, and lenses don't get swapped that often as they're probably the most expensive bit of the headset, and RAM is not an issue. The XR1 was 2018, XR2 was 2020, XR3 is a maybe end of 2022 but I doubt it since they went Samsung, and their node isn't that great, so jump won't be that huge, think next year would be an XR2 2nd gen type thing, that will power the pro end of 2022 at best, think Snapdragon's 888 that is only now entering the market properly at the high end (people think, came out end of 2020).

2023 will probably be the next bigger jump, and I still think the Quest 2 will keep support since it's by far the most popular headset and as said, FB plans to put ~12m in the market by end of next year, so no dev is not going to target them for the next few years.

Moosedrool

Meh... If you’re gonna wait for the next big thing you’ll wait forever.

I’m putting on my brown pants and going back to playing Alien in VR.

Moosedrool

Yep I started crapping my pants...

That slasher horror tension starting at 1:38 is amazing but my god it's tense.

Moosedrool

Last night.

There was a lot of drinking before that so don't judge my excellent flying skills.

biometrics

I wouldn't have expected people not to use a cover tbh, seems quite unhygenic not to have a facial cover.
I haven't used one of these so don't know it's construction. I'd like to have the thing that touches your skin to be removable and washable. I happen to have oily skin.

Johnatan56

I haven't used one of these so don't know it's construction. I'd like to have the thing that touches your skin to be removable and washable. I happen to have oily skin.
You can take it off, but it's this foamy material that absorbs sweat really easily and isn't easy to wash without wearing out fast.

biometrics

You can take it off, but it's this foamy material that absorbs sweat really easily and isn't easy to wash without wearing out fast.
Early days for this tech I suppose. Maybe a disposable liner like they use on the headrests of airplane seats.

Johnatan56

Johnatan56

@Moosedrool

Playing it on the Quest, so far I find it pretty good. I am not really into horror, but this game is pretty great.

EDIT: Looking at reviews, seems strange, might be issues with Steam version in regards to controls or something.

Moosedrool

@Moosedrool

Playing it on the Quest, so far I find it pretty good. I am not really into horror, but this game is pretty great.

EDIT: Looking at reviews, seems strange, might be issues with Steam version in regards to controls or something.

Even HL Alyx has a horror element too it. Funny how they said this isn't a horror game and tried everything to not make it one. But here's Jeff anyways.