Virtual Reality Things

Moosedrool

The oculus quest 2 seems to be pretty decent. I'm still not convinced it has the same low latency when connecting it to a pc via sending video data over usb and have the device decode it rather than a straight hdmi feed. But I've never tried it.

It's also important to note that the headset for the quest has a battery inside and needs charging alongside the controllers. From what I've heard a usb 2 and 3 link cable only extends time while the usb c cable keeps it alive indefinitely. But yet again I haven't tried it.

The quest doesn't need the base stations but you can add them if you want to use vive trackers.

This has higher resolution than the vive pro and the valve index.

Moosedrool

Thanks that was interesting. By the end my head started feeling a bit weird though!

My two eyes see very differently so I'd need to wear my glasses, do they accomodate for that?

I know mine does. not to sure about the oculus. However you do sacrifice FOV when extending the lens distance for glasses.

Moosedrool

@Tribs

I know you a bit and knows you'd love it.... :ROFLMAO:

Biscuit fister (the black and white shiba) is one of my friends in VRC: (Because who wouldn't be friends with this oke....)

Moosedrool

Puppeting this thing is an art. Also It's better when the person recording's audio is actually lining up.

Johnatan56

The oculus quest 2 seems to be pretty decent. I'm still not convinced it has the same low latency when connecting it to a pc via sending video data over usb and have the device decode it rather than a straight hdmi feed. But I've never tried it.

It's also important to note that the headset for the quest has a battery inside and needs charging alongside the controllers. From what I've heard a usb 2 and 3 link cable only extends time while the usb c cable keeps it alive indefinitely. But yet again I haven't tried it.

The quest doesn't need the base stations but you can add them if you want to use vive trackers.

So decided to give in to FB as wanted something that's cheap but still a decent VR experience, should be getting a Quest 2 beginning of Feb (stock on Amazon incoming was 5 Feb, now it's dropped to 20 Jan and for some reason Amazon updated that to also state I now get it last week of Jan, so not sure what's going to actually happen).

Biggest worry I have is the IPD, it's 55.5mm to 70.5mm, I think I am at 69-70mm depending on who measures, so I will be at the border of that, should hopefully be fine though.

So far I've queued up for download/bought during the Dec/Jan special on Steam:
- Boneworks
- Half life Alyx
- (The forest but got ages ago)
- (Phasmophobia but got ages ago)
- Pistol Whip
- Superhot VR (love the non-VR version)
- The Wizards

And rest on my list once I get bored/they come on special:
- Eleven: Table Tennis VR
- (Hitman 3)
- Blade and Sorcery
- (DeMagnete VR if it turns out good once released)
- The Wizards - Dark Times
- Wraith: The Oblivion - Afterlife

On Oculus store only interested in the star wars one from what I see.

Should be fun, of course going to be using Virtual Desktop ($20) to go wireless, used a friend's Quest 1 like that and have used the Index, Index is better but way to costly, but lack of wires using Virtual Desktop is great, also if good 5GHz latency is pretty much unnoticeable (I am going to be using NVENC on an RTX 2060, so pretty low latency, based on others with similar set-up it's <25ms, so should not be noticeable, there's multiple examples of people raving about it on reddit and other platforms).

Moosedrool

So decided to give in to FB as wanted something that's cheap but still a decent VR experience, should be getting a Quest 2 beginning of Feb (stock on Amazon incoming was 5 Feb, now it's dropped to 20 Jan and for some reason Amazon updated that to also state I now get it last week of Jan, so not sure what's going to actually happen).

Biggest worry I have is the IPD, it's 55.5mm to 70.5mm, I think I am at 69-70mm depending on who measures, so I will be at the border of that, should hopefully be fine though.

So far I've queued up for download/bought during the Dec/Jan special on Steam:
- Boneworks
- Half life Alyx
- (The forest but got ages ago)
- (Phasmophobia but got ages ago)
- Pistol Whip
- Superhot VR (love the non-VR version)
- The Wizards

And rest on my list once I get bored/they come on special:
- Eleven: Table Tennis VR
- (Hitman 3)
- Blade and Sorcery
- (DeMagnete VR if it turns out good once released)
- The Wizards - Dark Times
- Wraith: The Oblivion - Afterlife

On Oculus store only interested in the star wars one from what I see.

Should be fun, of course going to be using Virtual Desktop ($20) to go wireless, used a friend's Quest 1 like that and have used the Index, Index is better but way to costly, but lack of wires using Virtual Desktop is great, also if good 5GHz latency is pretty much unnoticeable (I am going to be using NVENC on an RTX 2060, so pretty low latency, based on others with similar set-up it's <25ms, so should not be noticeable, there's multiple examples of people raving about it on reddit and other platforms).

Nice. I'm hearing good things about the quest 2.

Moosedrool

Not currently, will get there eventually, is a type of game I'd play but my backlog on normal PC and VR is already huge. :p

We're a pretty weird community. But it's internet 101.

The shit people come up with is funny as hell and if you're willing to learn a bit of artsy crap it'll pay off.

I love the VRchat people. It's not cringe like second life and it's not your best moments like social media. It's more real engaging with random people around the world than people think. You're there, in the same room. I love it.

VRChat_1920x1080_2020-12-31_23-36-26.306.png

New years eve. :)

I hate unity though.... :ROFLMAO:

Johnatan56

So update on this, I have the Quest 2 for a while now.

In regards to latency playing via virtual desktop, not an issue as long as you have enough WiFi bandwidth, anything with an 802.11ac connection is basically fine, just make sure it's not e.g. the laptop's hotspot, that will randomly drop due to how Windows handles priority.

The only issue really with playing via SteamVR is e.g. Pavlov where your body is vs where it thinks you are can mess up slightly (as in the angle of which direction you're facing) once every hour or two or so, but it self corrects pretty quick.

In terms of play-ability, it's good as long as your PC can handle it, and it's a bit less intensive to use virtual desktop than it is to use cable, this is due to the Oculus stuff being worse, make sure to end the Oculus service once you've installed the drivers since it greatly degrades performance as it does not play nicely with SteamVR.

Battery wise, I get near three hours still if playing from PC and streaming, if titles directly on headset it's just over two hours.
You can get external batteries, your Quest 2 will drop to 80% and then stay there and directly draw power from the battery bank, I do highly recommend it as the extra weight at the back makes wearing the Quest 2 way more comfortable as it's too front heavy else.

Since the Quest 2 is now getting 120Hz support as well, pretty much the only reason not to go Quest 2 is FB and knuckles controller, otherwise it's gotten to the point that it's pretty much better at everything.

I am really excited at the new entrants coming though, a few headsets set to release end of this year, all using the XR2 as well, FB heavily underclocked the Quest 2's XR chip, so there's a lot of performance left on the table.

In regards to bluetooth audio, note that it can be enabled as a setting, but you need to enable dev settings. Issue is only normal aptx support, so ~40ms latency which can be noticeable depending on the game, way more than on a PC imho, so highly recommend sticking with plugging in via aux.

You can also go USB C, either way, I do recommend you get a magnetic right angle usb c adapter, just so if you knock the cable that you don't damage the headset port, it's very fragile. (something like: https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Sicotool...+c+adapter&qid=1617005269&s=ce-de&sr=1-8&th=1 , planning to get it with my next amazon order as shipping is not prohibitive anymore now that I am in Austria).