Virtual Reality Things

Moosedrool

I'm using the HTC Vive pro. (pricey compared to others) Think you can only go for the Vive pro eye lately. 90fps

I prefer not doing standalone VR as headsets like the oculus quest can connect to a pc using link to usb or wirelessly but with limited performance.

My PC spec is pretty high. I7 9700k, 16gb ram, Nvidia RTX 2080 TI

Software in the last video is Nolimits roller coaster simulator 2. I bought the pro version on launch day in 2013 but the standard version is available on steam. No real difference apart from the ability to import/export spline data to something like blender or 3dsmax.

For something like the roller coaster software you can go for something like a 1080 TI for VR and down to a GRTX 750 for normal. It's just important to note there's no limit in polygon assets. If I want I can fold any GPU with one sphere.

I would recommend trying to see if you can get your hands on a Valve Index through a shipping company or something. Larger field of view and higher FPS.

The reason I took the Vive was that shipitto didn't like the waiting period for the Valve. I went for the Vive because it's compatible out of the box with the same base stations the index uses so I can just add motion trackers where I want if you want something like leg tracking or real world objects like guns and so forth.

biometrics

I'm using the HTC Vive pro. (pricey compared to others) Think you can only go for the Vive pro eye lately. 90fps

I prefer not doing standalone VR as headsets like the oculus quest can connect to a pc using link to usb or wirelessly but with limited performance.

Software in the last video is Nolimits roller coaster simulator 2. I bought the pro version on launch day in 2013 but the standard version is available on steam. No real difference apart from the ability to import/export spline data to something like blender or 3dsmax.

For something like the roller coaster software you can go for something like a 1080 TI for VR and down to a GRTX 750 for normal. It's just important to note there's no limit in polygon assets. If I want I can fold any GPU with one sphere.

I would recommend trying to see if you can get your hands on a Valve Index through a shipping company or something. Larger field of view and higher FPS.

The reason I took the Vive was that shipitto didn't like the waiting period for the Valve. I went for the Vive because it's compatible out of the box with the same base stations the index uses so I can just add motion trackers where I want if you want something like leg tracking or real world objects like guns and so forth.
I have a 3rd gen i7 with 16 GB RAM and a 2080. Plays BF V beautifully.

• Wow
Reactions: Y2K

Moosedrool

I have a 3rd gen i7 with 16 GB RAM and a 2080.

Will work. the 3rd gen might slow down on some unity apps (because they're shit and suck cpu power) but you're far in the clear with vr.

The valve index is going for $999 which is sad because on EB I see the bids standing at more than R30K.

I'll make a video in vr tonight showing off my toys. XD

biometrics

Valve Index kit is $2,000. I just lost my interest... ;)

biometrics

Will work. the 3rd gen might slow down on some unity apps (because they're shit and suck cpu power) but you're far in the clear with vr.

The valve index is going for $999 which is sad because on EB I see the bids standing at more than R30K.

I'll make a video in vr tonight showing off my toys. XD
$999 is only the headset though, don't you need the controllers? What are the two boxes, required for the controllers?

biometrics

I have a Aramex Global Shopper account so can order many things that don't ship here.

Moosedrool

Oculus Rift is around $400. Still expensive to just try something out. But better than $2,000!
If you want to just try it out rather visit a friend with VR. I did that at Akasha's place a few years ago.

It's also important to note that a low level rig like oculus quest won't give you the experience the higher ones get. Although they are improving. I paid around R23000 for the VR rig. PC excluded.

biometrics

If you want to just try it out rather visit a friend with VR. I did that at Akasha's place a few years ago.

It's also important to note that a low level rig like oculus quest won't give you the experience the higher ones get. Although they are improving. I paid around R23000 for the VR rig. PC excluded.
Ouch. May I ask, why did you get it? Just curiosity, money to burn, work potensial?

Moosedrool

Do the arm/hand movements get tiring?

The rock climbing video earlier shows a bit of that. It's not that bad. In HL Alyx you have to crouch a lot which gets bad for unfit alcoholics like me.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Y2K

biometrics

The rock climbing video earlier shows a bit of that. It's not that bad. in HL Alyx you have to crouch a lot which get's bad for unfit alcoholics like me.
Do you mark out a square you can move in? Like something you can feel with your feet so you can stay within it?