Virtual Reality Things

biometrics

Cheapest place to get the Quest 3 in SA or import?

Looks like R15k from Amazon.

Moosedrool

Found a 0 G world. (And a new otter avatar. So that I can make memes like "otter space" or "otterly amazing" and dumb shit)

They should've called it the vomit comet.

Johnatan56

Quest 3 arrived middle of last week, haven't had that much time with it, but first impressions are good (about 6 hours).
Comparing to the Quest 2, it's a noticeable upgrade, would say if have finances, generally worth it.

Friend who couldn't handle Q2 due to feeling a bit claustrophobic was fine with the Q3, think it has to do with the larger FoV and that basically all of it is clear (Q2 only has a sweet spot with clear lens in the middle, rest is not in focus), and has color pass through that is near real-time, so putting it on can still see everything. Lenses are just substantially better imho.

Note the pass through is not perfect, needs decent enough light, and its quality is around 480p to 720p, like that half-step away from HD, but it's substantially better. Normal Q2 I turn off pass through in the home screen as makes me ill after a bit due to the delay, this one is fast enough that it's fine, and the focal point is about half an arms length away everything is clear, so it's fine for moving around and stuff. The auto boundaries are also pretty decent. Depth sensor on it noticeably improves the pass-through. Wish it could handle real-time redraw boundary for stuff like rolling in a chair into play space, for e.g. waiting in game lobbies it would be great.

Still waiting for my elite strap (wanting to try it out, though might get a halo later), but even with normal cloth straps the weight distribution is a lot better, feels lighter on my face than the Q2.

Controllers I like the change, the haptics are softer, but it's more "everywhere" in your hand, feel it top, trigger, and the entire thing, was noticeable playing Asgard's Wrath 2 (comes as a bundle, game is actually really decent, not sure if I will wait for the texture pack upgrade or not before continuing the game). It's also lighter, which is nice, and the lack of a ring at the top means hand tracking a bit better if I hold the controller and then use index finger to press in menus it registers it as well. Just miss using the rings to make them stand, but think it's overall worth it (lower weight is also nice).

Speakers, don't really notice a difference besides treble sounds a bit clearer, most of the time I am using earphones.
Microphone is definitely worse, still usable, but really disliking it, louder sounds "pop", which is fine for Discord usage where noise cancelling is, but was using it in-game, wasn't great. On PC I am feeding it through Nvidia broadcast, so it's okay, but any games direct on headset, I am hearing others in the lobby, it isn't nice. Think some software tweaks can probably sort it to being okay, adaptive noise gates.

Johnatan56

Cheapest place to get the Quest 3 in SA or import?

Looks like R15k from Amazon.
About that, but do factor in price of a proper strap (eltie or halo style, latter if games with less "intensive" movement, this includes beat saber as that's arms and stuff, not whipping head around, babo M3 is the goto), get a pair of straps for the controllers so you can let go, and then a silicon or synthetic leather face cover. My skin can't handle the one given by meta, and can't really clean it, but up to how your skin is.

Strap will literally change it so you can do like max 30 minutes to hours, since it no longer slowly goes out of place and your eyes keep having to adjust (you get a bit of motion sickness).

Quest 3 with original strap I am still getting a little motion sick after an hour, when Q2 with halo strap I can do 3 hours no problem. Do it even if only doing shorter stints, the motion sickness sticks with you for hours, it's annoying.