LPW 31: Resistance is futile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tribs

People in my position do not ask for new machines: they accept whatever is given to them.
While that is the case - when things are better - I would mention how slow your machine is. I am sure there are a few things that can be done

Seldom Bucket

While that is the case - when things are better - I would mention how slow your machine is. I am sure there are a few things that can be done
eg. get a SSD installed and a bit more RAM

Oh, and stop using that Edge kak

Nicholas

No really, I am not important enough to warrant that. I'm not even a full-time employee any more.
Sometimes one needs to accept what one has and try to make the most of it.

Johnatan56

Blimey.....my home machine has older hardware than the laptop I am using at work and has had successive versions of Windows installed over the other, and yet I can get to work more quickly on my home PC. It has taken me since just before 08H00 to get to typing this. Edge was non-responsive at first [as was CTRL-ALT-DEL]. Is it unreasonable of me to expect better than this?
Older hardware doesn't make it worse, if it's a cheap/badly configured laptop compared to your PC, your PC will perform better. Plus your PC probably has better cooling and a higher power envelope.

Nicholas

eg. get a SSD installed and a bit more RAM

Oh, and stop using that Edge kak
8Gb not enough?

Only tech-support staff can change settings and install or uninstall software on our machines.

Edge seems fine on my home machine, which also has 8Gb of RAM.

My work machine is Lenovo V510 with a seventh-generation Core i7 processor. Core i5 3470 at home.

Seldom Bucket

8Gb not enough?

Only tech-support staff can change settings and install or uninstall software on our machines.

My work machine is Lenovo V510 with a seventh-generation Core i7 processor. Core i5 3470 at home.
Ask for a SSD for your work machine

Tribs

No really, I am not important enough to warrant that. I'm not even a full-time employee any more.
Sometimes one needs to accept what one has and try to make the most of it.
They need to be aware that this affects your productivity level - or they may think it is you who cannot get the job done.

Tribs

8Gb not enough?

It needs a good clean. Probably stuff in your registry that is causing problems

Nicholas

My work machine is fine once it gets going. It just takes longer than my home computer to go from turned off to productive.

Nicholas

Don't you like throwing data away?
Over the years, I have installed and uninstalled many, many programs, and deleted plenty of pictures, video clips, and sound files. At work, our IT department installs what staff members need to do their respective jobs on their work computers, and no more than that. We cannot install software ourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.