LPW 21: Last Poser Wins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnatan56

Are you at the coffee shop?
No, haven't been there in about 1.5 months, might go there sometime next month, one last bagel. :p

Coffee in my house is pretty good, I have a "cheap" Espresso machine, "cheap" beans, but they're both good so the coffee is good. The filtered water probably has an impact as well.

Jings

No, haven't been there in about 1.5 months, might go there sometime next month, one last bagel.

Coffee in my house is pretty good, I have a "cheap" Espresso machine, "cheap" beans, but they're both good so the coffee is good. The filtered water probably has an impact as well.
I wouldn't mind a chocolate bagel and cheap expresso machine coffee.

Only you emigrating or the whole family?

Johnatan56

I wouldn't mind a chocolate bagel and cheap expresso machine coffee.

Only you emigrating or the whole family?
Just me, my brother started some new studies so he's stuck in SA for another ~3 years till he finishes it, my sis is probs going to join me at the end of the year (she's finishing off some certs), and then my mom will when she retires within the next 5 years.

I'm just not sure if I will stay in Austria, depends on how it goes, might end up going US instead.

That said, I do have more family in Austria than South Africa, 2 cousins, 1 aunt and married in uncle and one gran, and my mother's cousin.
That's about half the family tree that's still alive, the other half is in Belgium, there it's 3 great aunts that are 85+, no children, and one "uncle" who is ~30 now.

Still found it funny when in Uni I went to a friend's house, colored guy, and there was this huge gathering there, so I asked if it was a party, he just said it was just close family coming over, was just the dad's brothers/sisters and their children, was around 80 people.

Jings

Just me, my brother started some new studies so he's stuck in SA for another ~3 years till he finishes it, my sis is probs going to join me at the end of the year (she's finishing off some certs), and then my mom will when she retires within the next 5 years.

I'm just not sure if I will stay in Austria, depends on how it goes, might end up going US instead.

That said, I do have more family in Austria than South Africa, 2 cousins, 1 aunt and married in uncle and one gran, and my mother's cousin.
That's about half the family tree that's still alive, the other half is in Belgium, there it's 3 great aunts that are 85+, no children, and one "uncle" who is ~30 now.

Still found it funny when in Uni I went to a friend's house, colored guy, and there was this huge gathering there, so I asked if it was a party, he just said it was just close family coming over, was just the dad's brothers/sisters and their children, was around 80 people.

Good thing you already have family there, and already been going back yearly to Austria on holiday anyway. Why would you want to settle in the US?

Some people have really large families. Can imagine the chaos at Christmas time.

Johnatan56

Good thing you already have family there, and already been going back yearly to Austria on holiday anyway. Why would you want to settle in the US?

Some people have really large families. Can imagine the chaos at Christmas time.
US because English and can have nicer weather, also have citizenship by birth, so can work there no issue.

Yeah, still shocks me when I see people with 10+ immediate family, just doesn't really exist for higher educated people anymore.

• Wow
Reactions: Y2K

Jings

US because English and can have nicer weather, also have citizenship by birth, so can work there no issue.

Yeah, still shocks me when I see people with 10+ immediate family, just doesn't really exist for higher educated people anymore.

Seeing as we can stay in touch with family and friends virtually, loneliness shouldn't be too much of an issue if you move to the other side of the world.

Don't know how people with so many children cope financially these days. Back in the 70s it was different but inflation has increased substantially since then, requiring two incomes per household.

Johnatan56

Seeing as we can stay in touch with family and friends virtually, loneliness shouldn't be too much of an issue if you move to the other side of the world.

Don't know how people with so many children cope financially these days. Back in the 70s it was different but inflation has increased substantially since then, requiring two incomes per household.
It's more that because both parents work, things could become more expensive as demand.

Status
Not open for further replies.