Looking for compatible shell for HP I5 bs1xx

Blantyre

My casing badly damaged and it appears that some components inside may be loose as the WIFI card has been behaving weirdly and the CD from and SD port don't function.

Does anyone know where I can get a decently priced shell from?

Also what will be a decent price to get it fitted for? I'm a noob and not adept at this stuff so will need an experienced person to do it.

I phoned a local guy and he quoted me R1200 if I get him a shell which seems like robbery.

BloodrayneZA

I phoned a local guy and he quoted me R1200 if I get him a shell which seems like robbery.
For that price, I would rather dish out and pay for a new laptop. As said in previous sentence, if things appear to be loose, then it's time to buy a new one or even 2nd hand. Not worth replacing the shell for R1200.

Blantyre

Thanks for the advice guys. I cancelled the order from Amazon. I was intending to pay R1k for the shell.

I just thought it might be worth repairing because I sold a Lenovo G50 two years ago for R600 and the guy told me it cost him about R1400 to repair. It had a faulty hinge and charging port so thought that one was beyond repair.

Blantyre

Is it worth repairing? You can get a used one for R4,200:
Maybe yes, it has been held together by Pattex PowerGlue for the last year. I just got another bottle and hopefully it can do the trick for as long as possible until it eventually retires.

biometrics

Maybe yes, it has been held together by Pattex PowerGlue for the last year. I just got another bottle and hopefully it can do the trick for as long as possible until it eventually retires.
Well the casing is just there to stop you from electrocuting yourself.

Blantyre

Well the casing is just there to stop you from electrocuting yourself.

Do you think the ports will be repairable? I don't mind the one USB port and CD from gone but I'd love to have the SD port back. I did not abuse it in anyway so it must have been due to movements caused by the internal damage, as I mentioned all the components on the right hand side excluding the keyboard buttons are not working.

I suppose I would still be open to buying it if someone has a dead one that is lying around. Pretty sure somewhere someone does.

biometrics

Do you think the ports will be repairable? I don't mind the one USB port and CD from gone but I'd love to have the SD port back. I did not abuse it in anyway so it must have been due to movements caused by the internal damage, as I mentioned all the components on the right hand side excluding the keyboard buttons are not working.

I suppose I would still be open to buying it if someone has a dead one that is lying around. Pretty sure somewhere someone does.
Sounds kinda trashed, post pics...

Blantyre

Sounds kinda trashed, post pics...
1.jpeg

As you can see, the glue is holding the cracked plastic in some places. Two pieces of plastic came out when I opened it so I re-glued them.

Attachments

• 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    133.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    109.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    160.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 5.jpeg
    5.jpeg
    98.8 KB · Views: 2

Blantyre

Still runs smoothly though so I'll possibly keep it till it dies off.

Do you think it can survive long or will give in within the next year?

It lasted a year in this state virtually but worsened slightly yesterday after I opened it.

Blantyre

It will likely never die.

I forced the CD Rom open and put it back and it seems to have started working again.

The SD slot stopped working and the wifi appears to be fluctuating.

The laptop has not been dropped in a year so this was all a bit weird. Do you think that these can be repaired as well?

spiderz

Repairs are going to be more than a 2nd hand laptop of better spec

Blantyre

Repairs are going to be more than a 2nd hand laptop of better spec

I've resolved that I'll only do it if I can find a dead one at a cheap price.

I contacted the owner of my previous laptop which also had extensive shell damage towards the end and he mentioned that he managed to get a replacement shell and had it fitted by the same PC company for R800, installation and shell included.