Linux

BloodrayneZA

And it's installed now.

Updating / upgrading packages. OMW I have forgotten a lot of command line stuff so busy relearning it all over again.

I've missed Deepin so I'm gonna use it as my secondary OS on this machine.

SauRoN

I don't really like VM - also I have a 64-bit operating system and it doesn't support any distros with 64-bit.

I only asked because I don't have a bootable CD or DVD and I have no spares lying around. I only have the ISO image and another snag is I never bothered to get an USB flash drive so I'm also without one too.

I'm looking into this at the moment through Google. Anyone wants to chime in would be really appreciated.

Quite honestly it’s less hassle to just buy a USB flash drive.

Sent from my iPhone

SauRoN

And for the rest of you guys, have a look at Deepin

The Chinese ties with Deepin are the only real concern.

There is a version of Ubuntu that uses its desktop environment which is a better/safer bet.

Sent from my iPhone

BloodrayneZA

The Chinese ties with Deepin are the only real concern.

There is a version of Ubuntu that uses its desktop environment which is a better/safer bet.

Sent from my iPhone
Thanks, I wanted an alternative. I’ll check it it

BloodrayneZA

Quite honestly it’s less hassle to just buy a USB flash drive.

Sent from my iPhone
True enough, I just simply don’t have the dosh to buy one because I have other expenses coming up that are more important.

I did notice an issue that I’ve never seen before in Deepin yesterday.

Firefox browser login page for Netflix was all chinese. On Chrome it was in English, that was a weird one for me. I tried to change the language to English but it didn’t work.

I know it’s a bug somewhere but who to report it to? Deepin or Firefox?

I’m also having 2nd thoughts because I want a secure OS and as much as I love Deepin’s design, the updates concern me the most. I keep getting failed package installations and upgrades through Terminal.

BloodrayneZA

Yeah - I saw that. Does FF open the EN link in Chinese?
I tried adding to the URL (en) as I've seen some websites do that - says sorry you have reached a broken link so something is not right there. I can't be sure which one is the culprit - Deepin, Firefox or Netflix. It needs investigating.

R

rambo919

VMWare has gotten extremely buggy in recent years though, lots of serious bugs that never gets fixed. I'm going back to virtualbox for a while, I don't like my PC freezing up half the time.

Gamer16

VMWare has gotten extremely buggy in recent years though, lots of serious bugs that never gets fixed. I'm going back to virtualbox for a while, I don't like my PC freezing up half the time.

I've been spared that luckily as I have to use 12 due to having and old processor.

BloodrayneZA

Doesn't matter if it doesn't officially support it, you just tell virtualbox its Debian and off you go for the most part.
Alternatively have a look at VMWare, much more powerful than Virtualbox
That’s the thing, I am always testing something to see if I can break rules.

This time it didn’t work bec this particular one does not support it

bigAl-sa

Doesn't matter if it doesn't officially support it, you just tell virtualbox its Debian and off you go for the most part.
Alternatively have a look at VMWare, much more powerful than Virtualbox
I had some problems with Vbox a long time ago with USB hard drives. Since they fixed that, nothing. I even install ROMs on phones using Vbox.

(Heimdall is rubbish.)

R

rambo919

I had some problems with Vbox a long time ago with USB hard drives. Since they fixed that, nothing. I even install ROMs on phones using Vbox.

(Heimdall is rubbish.)
Yes I remember USB devices being impossible half the time at one stage.

BloodrayneZA

Testing PureOS on Virtualbox.

Apparently, after googling for help, it turns out I had hardware virtualisation turned off in the BIOS. That needs to be enabled in order to run 64-bit OS's in VM.