Linux

biometrics

Ubuntu Linux 20.04 LTS 'Focal Fossa', Featuring Linux 5.4 Kernel and WireGuard VPN, Now Available For Download

Canonical has released the newest version of its Ubuntu Linux distribution, Ubuntu 20.04. This long-term-support (LTS) version is more than just the latest version of one of the most popular Linux distributions; it's a major update for desktop, server, and cloud users. From a news story:

Called "Focal Fossa," it is an LTS version, meaning "Long Term Support." Just how long is that support? An impressive five years! Ubuntu 20.04 will feature many new visual cues and tweaks too thanks to a refreshed theme. "Ubuntu has become the platform of choice for Linux workstations. Canonical certifies multiple Dell, HP, and Lenovo workstations, and supports enterprise developer desktops. Machine learning and AI tools from a range of vendors are available immediately for Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, along with 6,000 applications in the Snapcraft Linux App Store including Slack, Skype, Plex, Spotify, the entire JetBrains portfolio and Visual Studio Code. WireGuard is a new, simplified VPN with modern cryptography defaults. WireGuard is included in Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and will be backported to Ubuntu 18.04 LTS to support widespread enterprise adoption," says Canonical.

Last edited:

biometrics

I could never get into Ubuntu and for no good reason. Just always preferred Cent. At work, all my servers are Cent and my colleague's are all Ubuntu - he hates Cent
We only use the server edition so not much between them then. I'm still on a Windows desktop after 30 years. Would probably rather switch to a Mac if I dumped Windows. Used the old Ubuntu GUI ten years ago for a Linux only app until they introduced that horrible sidebar GUI.

• Haha
Reactions: Y2K

Seldom Bucket

Ubuntu 20.04 LTS arrives

April 23rd 2020: Canonical, the publisher of Ubuntu, today announced the general availability of Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, with a particular emphasis on security and performance.

“Accelerating open source globally is our mission. Ubuntu 20.04 LTS is the new state-of-the-art open source platform for the enterprise and the entrepreneur,” said Mark Shuttleworth, CEO of Canonical. “We bring together thousands of contributors and the world’s largest technology companies to make Ubuntu 20.04 LTS the standard reference platform for secure cloud and edge compute.”

Ubuntu has reached the top of independent rankings of enterprise Linux security. Ubuntu 20.04 LTS applies Kernel Self Protection measures, assures control flow integrity and adds stack-clash protection for systemic forward-looking enterprise security.

Ubuntu 20.04 LTS also includes Secure Boot to protect against low level attacks and rootkits, often employed by Advanced Persistent Threat groups, and limits attack proliferation or ‘blast radius’ with strict snap confinement of key exposed applications on the desktop and server such as the local Kubernetes package MicroK8s. To mitigate social engineering attacks, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS introduces Fast ID Online (FIDO) for universal multi-factor and passwordless authentication.

Seldom Bucket

Working well, two issues so far:
Keyboard stopped working in the Terminal, creating folders, etc but still worked in the browser.
.zip file still hanging, this seems to be an issue carried over from 18.4 LTS

cavedog

This thread actually had me looking at ubuntu again but settled for Kubuntu instead. Much snappier and decent on my old lappy. :)

Screenshot_20200502_235936.png

Reactions: Y2K

cavedog

How old is old?

It still gets snaps and all that right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well not old as in 32 bit old but yeah rather low spec. Yes it does get snaps. All those apps on the left are snaps

SauRoN

Well not old as in 32 bit old but yeah rather low spec. Yes it does get snaps. All those apps on the left are snaps

Cool must give it a spin on the old Dell.

Not that Ubuntu runs terribly mind you, but it’s been years since I did KDE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

netstrider

I think the last time I used KDE was in 2007. Always preferred Gnome or XFCE.

I should actually have a good look at KDE again. Using Mint from time-to-time now with its Cinnamon desktop environment.

bigAl-sa

I've been using KDE (Kubuntu) since 2000ish. I still run it with a windows 95 type start button :)

My old Samsung Netbook works perfectly well with Lubuntu 18.04

BloodrayneZA

Is it possible to create a bootable installation on an hard drive partition to avoid using a DVD / USB bootable?

bigAl-sa

Is it possible to create a bootable installation on an hard drive partition to avoid using a DVD / USB bootable?
Either by partioning or using virtualbox.

I get a perverse pleasure of running windows as a program under linux.

BloodrayneZA

Either by partioning or using virtualbox.

I get a perverse pleasure of running windows as a program under linux.
I don't really like VM - also I have a 64-bit operating system and it doesn't support any distros with 64-bit.

I only asked because I don't have a bootable CD or DVD and I have no spares lying around. I only have the ISO image and another snag is I never bothered to get an USB flash drive so I'm also without one too.

I'm looking into this at the moment through Google. Anyone wants to chime in would be really appreciated.

BloodrayneZA

Amazing what you can find through Google.

my solution was NetBootIn - download, select iso image and I’m installing it on a spare hard drive. Then I will modify the boot loader to dual boot both Windows and Deepin.

bigAl-sa

I don't really like VM - also I have a 64-bit operating system and it doesn't support any distros with 64-bit.

I only asked because I don't have a bootable CD or DVD and I have no spares lying around. I only have the ISO image and another snag is I never bothered to get an USB flash drive so I'm also without one too.

I'm looking into this at the moment through Google. Anyone wants to chime in would be really appreciated.
AFAIK, vbox supports 64-bit guest OSes :