James Webb Space Telescope (JWST)

biometrics

'Perfect' James Webb telescope on track for launch​

The successor to the Hubble Space Telescope is on track for a launch in mid-December, officials say.

The James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) has cost $10bn to develop and will be one of the grand scientific endeavours of the 21st Century.

Its mission is to image the very first stars to shine in the Universe.

Webb will be sent to orbit on an Ariane rocket from French Guiana. Engineers there began assembling the vehicle's various components over the weekend.

The Ariane's 30m-tall main core stage was lifted into the vertical to allow its side boosters to be attached. The rocket's upper-stage, which will drive the latter part of Webb's ascent, will be bolted on in a few days.

JWST itself is likely to be placed atop the rocket a week before lift-off on 18 December.

1636480925297.jpeg

1636480857868.png

Last edited:

Düber

I haven't watched this yet, its on my "watch later" list, but it looks interesting.

satanboy

"A sudden, unplanned release of a clamp band—which secures Webb to the launch vehicle adapter—caused a vibration throughout the observatory," the US space agency said in a blog post, adding that the incident occurred while operations were taking place "under Arianespace overall responsibility."

biometrics

14:20 SA time today.

greg0205

I'd be lying if I said I'm not nervous for this one.

So, so many things that have to work just so for launch, getting to that L2 orbit and then fully deploying...

Kinda feels like the first shuttle launch to me.

Anyway, Merry Saturday boys.

greg0205

Last weather report coming now, if it's good, the synchronised sequence starts in three minutes...

biometrics

Here's a timeline of key events for the launch and deployment of James Webb Space Telescope, courtesy of [Jonathan McDowell](https://planet4589.org/space/misc/webb/time.html):

* **L+00:00:** Launch
* **L+27 minutes:** JWST separates from Ariane-5
* **L+33 minutes:** JWST solar panel deployment
* **L+12.5 hours:** JWST MCC-1a engine maneuver
* **L+1 day:** JWST communications antennae deploy
* **L+5-8 days:** Sunshade deployment
* **L+15-24 days:** Mirror deployment
* **L+36 days:** Begin telescope commissioning
* **L+124 days:** Complete telescope commissioning
* **L+180-210 days:** First images (Early Release Observations)

greg0205

scudsucker

Seems like a silly question... but I don't see any small rocket engines on the telescope illustrations I have seen.

How are they going to get it to stop at the L2 location instead of shooting off into deep space?