It is official, Port Elizabeth has a new name — Gqeberha

Düber

How do you pronounce it? :unsure:

Good timing too, just the thing needed when we have to recover the economy and cut costs...

biometrics

Never been to any of those places so never need to remember all call it that.

bigAl-sa

Never been to any of those places so never need to remember all call it that.
It was a nightmare coming up from KNP via Magoebaskloof Pass when they changed the names of Potties, Naboom and Nylstroom. Signboards were useless (and of course they were changed almost before the name changes were official).

Paul Hjul

Well take it up with the trusty Democratic Alliance who supported the committees efforts to ride roughsod of the law in order to change the name of Grahamstown - if that appeal to Bloemfontein succeeds its probable that these changes will fly out the window as well - and ask squirrel why he keeps a corrupt iconoclast in the position of arts minister. The money is actually a very small aspect of this, its all about exerting control by a faction of people and people thinking its easier to just let them.

Nicholas

I have an mp4 file giving the pronunciation of these new names so that I can listen to it until I have memorised them.

Blantyre

Well take it up with the trusty Democratic Alliance who supported the committees efforts to ride roughsod of the law in order to change the name of Grahamstown -

The DA plays politics and goes with what's popular. Now that they are focusing on consolidating the minority vote, they have switched to a right-wing stance on most issues. It may switch to centre-left again in future if the aims of the leadership changes again in future.

The only guy I know of who does not play politics is Alan Winde. I've seen the guy endorse CR before and indirectly disagree with the stance put out by Steenhuisen. Like the ANC, the DA has got rid of members who disagree with them but they can't exactly do that to Winde.

biometrics

Please tell me how to do it.
There's an Attach Files button below this text box. Looks like it doesn't do .mp4 though.

But I can embed the Youtube video from EWN. I see it starts with a click sound. That seems rather discriminatory to the rest of the country (of all races) that don't use a click in their speech.

Paul Hjul

The DA plays politics and goes with what's popular. Now that they are focusing on consolidating the minority vote, they have switched to a right-wing stance on most issues. It may switch to centre-left again in future if the aims of the leadership changes again in future.

The only guy I know of who does not play politics is Alan Winde. I've seen the guy endorse CR before and indirectly disagree with the stance put out by Steenhuisen. Like the ANC, the DA has got rid of members who disagree with them but they can't exactly do that to Winde.
except they fail to do with what is actually popular - if they were an unprincipled populist party I'd have more time - they do what they think will be populist and then when that fails blame the electorate for not agreeing with their analysists ...

Blantyre

they do what they think will be populist and then when that fails blame the electorate for not agreeing with their analysists ...

It's ridiculous and a lot of their criticisms of the "electorate" is obviously based on underlying racist undertones. Renaldo Gouws does that all the time on social media and he seems to be popular among the authority yet that guy is really a poor ambassador for the party.

It's like a failing businessman blaming customers for not buying his products.

Someone like Alan Winde is actually respected outside his party and its a pity that he has to work with those right-wing populists.

Many have suggested that they will give their Premier vote to Winde but vote against the DA on the other ballot.

Paul Hjul

lets see if Renaldo replies to my comment on Facebook specifically on this issue.

What is infuriating about it is that the issue is going to carry a lot of racist undertones rather than dealing with the inherently rule breaking nature of the activity and extent to which it is a form of feudal power grabbing.