Isn't there an Apple keynote address tonight?

Johnatan56

No charger.
I kind of agree with no charger though, but they should be selling the charger at cost if they can.
Still no USB C, quite disappointing, they'll probably do it with the next iPhone.
(You do have the adapter cable, so guess you'll buy a USB C charger and attach the lighting cable to it)
I wonder if they will skip the 13, they should probably go iPhone 21 to match year name next year, people will then associate their phone to how old it is (either urge to upgrade or happy it lasted 4/5 years).

Johnatan56

Oh, and them comparing it to the Snapdragon (since it's the next best mobile SoC at the moment).

Do remember, Apple is trying to avoid comparing to the A13 as much as they can as:
"Normalising this against the A13 this would mean only an 8.3% performance boost which is actually quite meagre."

SoC's are also generally "good enough" now, so extra features are quite important, e.g. Apple does really well with image processing and still has the leading video recording for mobile. Wish other competitors would catch up or at least Google would try and enter the field, need some competition there since for most media creators it's pretty much iPhone only choice since you need something that's not over the top expensive that you always have with you that can take a video/photo that's generally good.

Qualcomm is rumored to be introducing 100W charging in December though, so that will be interesting to see how it ties with e.g. laptops, since then can use same cable for laptop or phone and just plug between them (well, you can already do that, but means less people will have the wrong cables and there will be more high power ones around the house).

EDIT: And found it.
The Snapdragon 865 is a real-world 20% boost to performance compared to the 855.
The Snapdragon 855 was about 25% slower than the A13, which means the 865 matched the A13 about. The A14 real-world is 8% faster, so I want to know where Apple got that 50% faster from?

Unless they're trying to say the A14 in iPad form is faster than the Snapdragon 855 which is an old flagship and not the fastest competitor chip?
Going to be interesting as Apple needs to back it up or they can end up losing a class action lawsuit based on it as someone is going to use that against them, and they'd be right to.

Last edited:

Johnatan56

What legal basis?
False marketing, people can argue it based on that claim made by Apple, and it's definitely a misleading number as there's no way they're 50% faster in normal use cases.

Note again: I am not saying they're not faster, just the % is definitely misleading/wrong. Apple does well in the SoC business, from having a lead due to being able to afford way bigger SoC's to now having quite a nice design lead, it was very good of them to buy PA Semi, and I wonder how much of their A14 GPU lead again is them making nice with Imagination (the A14's biggest jump is GPU tasks, definitely a 50% increase compared to their A13, and a lot of that has to do with the process node shrink which allows way more transistors).

Dave

False marketing, people can argue it based on that claim made by Apple, and it's definitely a misleading number as there's no way they're 50% faster in normal use cases.

Note again: I am not saying they're not faster, just the % is definitely misleading/wrong. Apple does well in the SoC business, from having a lead due to being able to afford way bigger SoC's to now having quite a nice design lead, it was very good of them to buy PA Semi, and I wonder how much of their A14 GPU lead again is them making nice with Imagination (the A14's biggest jump is GPU tasks, definitely a 50% increase compared to their A13, and a lot of that has to do with the process node shrink which allows way more transistors).

note the magic words

E62E49EA-7C04-42B2-81CC-A399A72F7505.jpeg

sand_man

Turns out that is if you take it on contract in the US. Fake pricing.
?

@satanboy Sent from my GM1910 using Tapatalk
262fc18d3197a3cae1971c0a37c69112.jpg

biometrics

Dave

sand_man

Android bugging me a bit. Been on it for the best part of 3 years now and there inconsistencies which are annoying. Loved it for the most part but it doesn't behave as predictably as my iOS powered iPad. Period.

@satanboy Sent from my GM1910 using Tapatalk
Shit like this for example!!

sand_man

699 vs 729 isn't a huge difference.
It's the first time, that I can recall, where they've advertised the network selling price as the actual selling price. Anyway, $730 odd, is still a decent selling price.

I love my Android powered Oneplus but the main driver was always cost, not Android per se (well, maybe 50/50). The desire to customize and tinker coupled with the lack of a stable on consistent jailbreak is what led me away from iOS and back to Android, plus the silky smooth performance and flag ship specs of the OP3T. It's the closest to an iPhone experience I could replicate on an Android device and I been hooked since.

But that price difference is no more. OP and iPhone are similarly priced. That presents a dilemma

Last edited:

Dave

😂

Its actually pretty stupid, it’s not just Apple as Samsung and Xiaomi also do it now and it’s likely more makers will follow suit this year.

Greta will be getting very angry at any thoughts of wasteful electrical items being processed and all that extra air travel needed to ship them around the world.

biometrics

7 pm SA time