Solar, inverter, battery thread

Rudolph Hart

I’m glad I replaced the battery in my inverter. We bought a small pure wine wave inverter to keep the computers, internet and TV going without needing to fire up the generator, and we made do with using my existing deep cycle battery but it’s well over ten years old and wasn’t giving more than twenty minutes before dying. We’re now heading for two hours and the new battery is still indicating full - it should be able to power that load for a day or two.

Of course, I bought the new battery a couple of weeks ago and only installed it when I got the first sms warning of imminent load shedding, but at least it’s in and working now. I could probably hook the fridge up to this too if needed.

Lara

I’m glad I replaced the battery in my inverter. We bought a small pure wine wave inverter to keep the computers, internet and TV going without needing to fire up the generator, and we made do with using my existing deep cycle battery but it’s well over ten years old and wasn’t giving more than twenty minutes before dying. We’re now heading for two hours and the new battery is still indicating full - it should be able to power that load for a day or two.

Of course, I bought the new battery a couple of weeks ago and only installed it when I got the first sms warning of imminent load shedding, but at least it’s in and working now. I could probably hook the fridge up to this too if needed.
That wine wave inverter will keep your computers in a celebratory mood. :D

biometrics

9 - Installation of loadshedding proof PV panels, battery and inverter confirmed to start on Monday, so this time next week it’s a big fuck you to Eskom
Going all the way, that's like R300,000!? @Sinbad

I have a little system I got nearly 20 years ago that keeps me sane.

Spizz

Going all the way, that's like R300,000!? @Sinbad

I have a little system I got nearly 20 years ago that keeps me sane.

Nothing so drastic. I’m not going totally off grid but a decent wee system with 6 PV panels and a 5kWh battery and inverter which will beat loadshedding at least. My DB is a bit knackered so they are sorting that out too.

biometrics

Nothing so drastic. I’m not going totally off grid but a decent wee system with 6 PV panels and a 5kWh battery and inverter which will beat loadshedding at least. My DB is a bit knackered so they are sorting that out too.
I still think in 12V and Ah. What's your battery capacity? 200 or 300W panels? I'm still on a single 85W panel, but it does the job for me. Also got a charger hooked up for those double or triple sheds.

Hooking it up to the db with a change over switch?

Spizz

I still think in 12V and Ah. What's your battery capacity? 200 or 300W panels? I'm still on a single 85W panel, but it does the job for me. Also got a charger hooked up for those double or triple sheds.

Hooking it up to the db with a change over switch?

Should kick in automatically if that’s what you mean. I’m useless at this stuff but this is the bones of it....

272e3a8093dde581aa0fa255b65c2a67.jpg

6 panels.

They are also replacing my DB and sorting out my earth leakages and tripping probs with my mixed circuits.

biometrics

Should kick in automatically if that’s what you mean. I’m useless at this stuff but this is the bones of it....

6 panels.

They are also replacing my DB and sorting out my earth leakages and tripping probs with my mixed circuits.
@Sinbad knows more about this than me, lithium is good as you don't have to keep it above 50%, 48V I assume is four times the capacity of 12V, 5000W inverter is well beefy, you can boil a kettle. Not sure I see the auto switch over though, you sure it's not manual? @Sinbad?

biometrics

6 panels.

Must be this, so looks automatic.

Sinbad

@Sinbad knows more about this than me, lithium is good as you don't have to keep it above 50%, 48V I assume is four times the capacity of 12V, 5000W inverter is well beefy, you can boil a kettle. Not sure I see the auto switch over though, you sure it's not manual? @Sinbad?
It will be auto

biometrics

6 panels.

So how much, about R30k?

Spizz

So how much, about R30k?

I wish. The battery is 28k on its own. All in its 117k. That sounds includes external housing and the DB repairs etc. On its own I think the system would be about 80k including installation.

Edit. I’m getting some good discounts, battery is 30k everywhere.

biometrics

I wish. The battery is 28k on its own. All in its 117k. That sounds includes external housing and the DB repairs etc. On its own I think the system would be about 80k including installation.

Jeez batteries are expensive. Suppose R80k makes sense, installation+parts is probably R20k on its own.

biometrics

For comparison a 12V 105 Ah deep cycle lead-acid (calcium) battery was R2,650 in 2018. Yours being 100Ah 48V (4x factor) and lithium (2x factor) would take me 8 batteries for the same capacity. So R2,650 x 8 = R21,200 (2018) and then you have 8 big fucking batteries. So R28k is fair imo.

Sinbad

For comparison a 12V 105 Ah deep cycle lead-acid (calcium) battery was R2,650 in 2018. Yours being 100Ah 48V (4x factor) and lithium (2x factor) would take me 8 batteries for the same capacity. So R2,650 x 8 = R21,200 (2018) and then you have 8 big fucking batteries. So R28k is fair imo.
And his will last 10 years cycling 80 percent every day