ICASA handed a well deserved slap in court

biometrics

Yep read the press releases - nothing sent to the parties, I've suggested Jan seek comment from Vodacom and MTN.

Honestly I am not surprised at Telkom angling to get the 800Mhz (its what they are really after) and there has been lots of wrangling from the department. I have no idea what the judge will make up of the matter and keep in mind its "Telkom and another" - the other being the ICT SMME Chamber who are co-applicants.

Awaiting an email from one of Telkom's attorneys before I make any enquiries, but who knows at this stage I might end up arguing the matter if Telkom aren't going to use the time provisioned for them.
What is your involvement?

Paul Hjul

16th respondent ... - mentioned above

Letter from Telkom's attorney's and notice of withdrawal received - all after the court has sent out the links for kicking off with argument on Monday. I anticipate that there will be some discussions over the weekend of what to make of it but the poor judge is sitting with a massive mess.

Paul Hjul

A proper update is coming, just need to take a day or so down and then post something.

Had an unpleasant and awkward (but medium to long term good to be honest) day in court this morning.

From the press reports Telkom and ICASA have cut a backroom deal to withdraw this application in exchange for something or another about the 800Mhz spectrum which would have to include dropping off the global caps. MTN have reserved their rights to challenge that deal but consented to the withdrawal.
Vodacom and Rain (and the Minister) were salivating to see the withdrawal and we happy to go on each party carrying their costs.

I refused consent to withdraw. Had a terse but not unduly so exchange with the judge. Matter stood down.

I am quite happy to say that either the judge got it wrong or the law is an ass.

I'll have to go into quite a bit of weeds as to why I felt it improper to consent and improper to argue in objection to the court permitting Telkom to withdraw but the long and short of it is that there is evidence proving unlawfulness by ICASA to the prejudice of the general public that is not declared and set aside because the commercial interests involved in the matter have decided to allow an unlawfulness as part of a bargaining process.

Again it is necessary to go into weeds but the MNOs have set themselves up for a lot more contorted fights amongst themselves.