I have decided what I want to do with the rest of my life...

spiderz

What specific field is it when you are looking at stars while drinking red wine? 🤔

spiderz

hmmm, I have thought about putting a rover on the moon. That was when google still had that prize floating around.
a Bit more involved in that than I thought ... from the electronics side at least. Cosmic radiation wrecks electronics in space.

LD50

hmmm, I have thought about putting a rover on the moon. That was when google still had that prize floating around.
a Bit more involved in that than I thought ... from the electronics side at least. Cosmic radiation wrecks electronics in space.
A black hole will suck out the oil (that's left) and wrap your Landy in it tsk tsk tsk

SlinkyMike

I don't want to bother her. Like me, she is shy, though I expect she is better with people than I am as she teaches at a local school. I would rather leave things as they are than be pushy. We played Scrabble online for two or three years, then it stopped. She didn't say why, and I wasn't upset about it. I didn't want to be petty. It wasn't as though we were seeing each other. I don't think we move in the same intellectual circles , either. She seems to have been studying in her free time.

I don't have it in me to approach women. I have none of the reasons men usually have for doing so. In your case, we encountered each other on PCF Forums, and had been chatting for at least a year.
Judging by your interactions on this forum you are very good with people IMO.

Nicholas

Judging by your interactions on this forum you are very good with people IMO.
:ROFLMAO:

:unsure: I would not have though of that... Maybe you are onto something?

Sometimes on online forums where there are group chats, not so much on Patook or OKCupid, and almost never in real life. I am...rough around the edges. The rest of my family doesn't seem to be interested in games or tech, though my sister likes superhero movies, too. My mother tells me about whatever science news she has come across. My brother is a good man, but we don't seem to have much in common.

Last edited:

scudsucker

Sometimes
You have to realise that we are all fucked. That is the human condition. Some people are better at faking not being fucked: I am not one of those.

The majority of us are fucked in one way or another, and it is only observational statistical averaging that can let anyone think that everyone is OK.

Everyone is not OK in their own way. Sure there may be many ways in which they are OK, and that is where we should try to focus.

SlinkyMike

:ROFLMAO:

:unsure: I would not have though of that... Maybe you are onto something?

Sometimes on online forums where there are group chats, not so much on Patook or OKCupid, and almost never in real life. I am...rough around the edges. The rest of my family doesn't seem to be interested in games or tech, though my sister likes superhero movies, too. My mother tells me about whatever science news she has come across. My brother is a good man, but we don't seem to have much in common.
I think people make the mistake of assuming that their personality is static or at most a slowly evolving thing.
"When I was young I used to abc."
"Now that I am oder I tend to xyz."

That's not untrue but it also isn't the whole truth.

I am going to quote Moot (yes that Moot) on this topic because I believe his analysis is accurate, from an old speech on the topic of online identity:
We all have different roles to play in life, with different context for different audiences. What you say as a parent to a child is not the same as what you might say to peers or co-workers. "It's not who you share with, it's who you share as and your context within that group," Poole stated. "We all have multiple identities. And that's not something that's abnormal, it's just a part of being human." What Facebook and Google fail to see is that we are "multifaceted." He said, "Google and Facebook would have you believe that you're a mirror, but in fact, we're more like diamonds."

I have two kids with a large age gap, I could be talking to one of them about their career then switch to the other to help with maths homework. Two different guys.
Even under the same handle I am a different person on the thegrotto.co.za than what I am on, err.. other local forums. :ROFLMAO:

I think that it is prudent to approach each interaction with some degree of openness. Understanding that who you "are" will be determined by the interaction itself to some degree.