I have decided what I want to do with the rest of my life...

biometrics

I want to study astronomy. If it takes me the rest of my life that's fine. I don't expect to ever conclude it.

Math and to an extent physics always came naturally to me. And I find the cosmos incredibly fascinating.

It will take a year to prep for this. Need to eliminate debt. Find an institution to study with.

My decades of compsci will come in handy.

What would you like to do with the rest of your life?

Last edited:

Nicholas

I want to study astronomy. If it takes me the rest of my life that's fine. I don't expect to ever conclude it.

Math and to an extent physics always came naturally to me. And I find the cosmos incredibly fascinating.

It will take a year to prep for this. Need to eliminate debt. Find an institution to study with.

That's fantastic news, Biometrics. I hope you enjoy it tremendously. Please keep us apprised as to your progress.

Per ardua, ad astra.

Rudolph Hart

I’m planning to go low-tech - one astro-physicist in the family is enough.

I’m busy getting my wood turning workshop set up so that by the time I retire I’ll have all the capital expenditure done and be able to crack on and keep myself busy and hopefully sell enough to at least find the hobby. I’ve actually pretty much got all I need to keep me busy as long as I’m able to hold a chisel.

spiderz

I'm actually looking at getting into software development, not sure which route to go yet ... probably just do vaadin for now since I'm into java currently.
Also vaadin seem to do mobile maybe.

biometrics

I'm actually looking at getting into software development, not sure which route to go yet ... probably just do vaadin for now since I'm into java currently.
Also vaadin seem to do mobile maybe.
Depends on if you want a career job or do your own thing.

scudsucker

I want to study astronomy.
I have an in-law who is an astrophysicist.

Being scientists, they generally are only average at programming, because that is not their focus. However, there is a big need for programming skills, particularly Python and Matlab. It would be worth having a look at both, but Python is a lovely language and very easy to get into.

Spizz

Way to go. Sounds great.

I’m a Gemini btw…

/cough

Tribs

I have an in-law who is an astrophysicist.

Being scientists, they generally are only average at programming, because that is not their focus. However, there is a big need for programming skills, particularly Python and Matlab. It would be worth having a look at both, but Python is a lovely language and very easy to get into.
My son is doing his masters in Physics and has used Matlab and is writing in Python to do his project. Python seems to be getting bigger and more popular.

Last edited:

Sinbad

How does being a scientist make one a less-skilled programmer? Does it have to do with the way one thinks?
More to do with their formal training - it's not in computer science, it's in other sciences

Nicholas

I used to play Scrabble with a lady whose cousin was an astrophysicist who worked with data coming in from the Meerkat radio telescope array in the Northern Cape. She arranged for us to meet for coffee once. It felt awkward, and we had very little to say to each other.

scudsucker

How does being a scientist make one a less-skilled programmer? Does it have to do with the way one thinks?
It's just focus, you need to be concentrated on one thing more than others. Programing is only one of the tools.

Tribs

I used to play Scrabble with a lady whose cousin was an astrophysicist who worked with data coming in from the Meerkat radio telescope array in the Northern Cape. She arranged for us to meet for coffee once. It felt awkward, and we had very little to say to each other.
You would do better now

Jings

Well done, biometrics. I can imagine @Cereal_Killer will be the most pleased at your choice of new career.

Keep your feet on the ground and reach for the stars.

Nicholas

Perhaps you can message her, letting her know you are now more comfortable with the opposite sex
I don't want to bother her. Like me, she is shy, though I expect she is better with people than I am as she teaches at a local school. I would rather leave things as they are than be pushy. We played Scrabble online for two or three years, then it stopped. She didn't say why, and I wasn't upset about it. I didn't want to be petty. It wasn't as though we were seeing each other. I don't think we move in the same intellectual circles , either. She seems to have been studying in her free time.

I don't have it in me to approach women. I have none of the reasons men usually have for doing so. In your case, we encountered each other on PCF Forums, and had been chatting for at least a year.