I hate being in these situations

Should I remain with him until the early cancellation clawback window lapses?

• Yes

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • You should speak to him about it and ask him why he's charging so much.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Y2K

So as a few of you know I recently got fibre installed.

My cousin is "partnered" with an ISP and I signed up with him because I thought it seemed logical at the time but now he's potentially overcharging me for something I could be getting for cheaper if I go directly to the source. I'm not stupid I obviously did my homework with regards to pricing. I only asked him about upgrading at the end of September.

I think the only reason the 100/100 is marked up so high is because I asked him for an estimate and he gave me Octotel's pricing for the 100/100 which is the same as the /25.

100/25Mbps (This is not much of a difference)
Axxess: R1195
His price: R1205

100/100Mbps (This is just daylight robbery)
Axxess: R1195
His price: R1546

200/200Mbps (This is what we could be getting for what he wants to charge us)
Axxess: R1445

I don't mind him putting a markup on it but it's actually pretty steep and it's the difference between us getting 20Mbps vs 100Mbps.

I could be going for 200/200Mbps for the amount that he wants to charge us.

I could really use someones advice in this situation.

Y2K

Tell him to match the Axxess price, or you'll move. Money is money and times are tough. Early cancellation clawback wtf?
Decent ISPs are all month to month.
As far as I know ISPs charge you a cancellation fee if you move to another provider or am I mistaken?

Wtf Atomic Access is on the pricier side and even they're cheaper.

I feel like he's trying to make a quick buck.

Screenshot_20200813_111826.jpg

Sinbad

Cool Ideas don't charge you any cancellation fee, they just want you to return the router.
You may need to pay your FNO a charge - I know Vuma want R1k to change a connection.

sand_man

Option 4.) Avoid doing business with family at all costs...

but failing that, yeah, ask him why his rates are not competitive. Maybe he has a special rate for friends and family?

Y2K

Cool Ideas don't charge you any cancellation fee, they just want you to return the router.
You may need to pay your FNO a charge - I know Vuma want R1k to change a connection.
Ahhh so that's what it is. I still think it's crazy that you need to pay R1000 just to change a connection.

SauRoN

There’s this amazing thing called having a conversation.

Try that, even if you just take the information posted here and forward it to him and ask what’s up.

Sent from my iPhone

R

[)roi(]

Honesty always is the best policy, especially amongst friends and family.
That way it doesn't have to be awkward.

Y2K

Honesty always is the best policy, especially amongst friends and family.
That way it doesn't have to be awkward.
Well I've spoken to him and asked why he's charging what he's charging he said that if I'm not happy with the pricing I can always wait out the 6 month period and go somewhere else which is what I think I'll be doing.

Tribs

Well I've spoken to him and asked why he's charging what he's charging he said that if I'm not happy with the pricing I can always wait out the 6 month period and go somewhere else which is what I think I'll be doing.
Tell him thanks and you will be finding an alternative. He may adjust his price if he realises you will actually do it. But then I am of the opinion that I would move anyway - if you have to threaten to leave before someone does something - then their moral code is a little bit screwed.

Y2K

So he basically showed you the middle finger?
To be direct yes, doesn't make sense though, why would I go through a middle man when I can get it straight from the source. I don't like Axxess routing anyways, their routing to Europe is pathetic. My adsl/rain LTE had better latency.