I had too much to drink - Jacques Pauw

satanboy

I can't believe a wealthy guy like this doesn't have more than one card. I am a poor bastard and I have 2 credit cards.

Paul Hjul

Pauw was probably more than mildly sloshed and a little belligerent. However his honesty is probably more commendable than his stupidity is deplorable.

I do think SAPS handled the matter poorly and I can't but fear that somebody involved from the SAPS side of things wanted to grind an axe and saw an opportunity to instruct arresting officers (presumably constables) to throw the book. Even on the version by SAPS spokesperson the making of an arrest is not explained. No doubt V&A security was involved - the office to which he was taken and an executive of V&A showing him certain facts - and I wouldn't be surprised if the lineup wasn't as follows: Pauw was being a nuisance, the restaurant informed V&A, V&A security was stepping in and a SAPS connection at cluster level brought on. The at hand constables were then instructed to make an apprehension and thereafter arrest for theft.

A charge of theft was improper as even on a version of this being actual case of bilking the offence is within the parameters of fraud rather than theft. Moreover even if a person is belligerent and intoxicated SAPS has little reason to manhandle that person, have a large cop show up
I've seen drunk belligerent students in an attempted 2am shoplifting move go from hurling abuse at the cashier in English to "ja maneer, ek verstaan" in broken Afrikaans because the right cop was authoritatively commanding them to behave in Afrikaans. Apparently they pitched up at the magistrates court the next morning. Of course this isn't the fault of the individual police officers but rather points to command and control at SAPS as well as the handling protocols.

satanboy

One has a nil balance and the other is R2k in debt. :sneaky:

I have 2 cards because 20 years ago I was embarrassed by my card being declined (tried the SO's card also declined - stupid bank). You never know when a bank is going offline or declines your card for some stupid reason.

biometrics

I have 2 cards because 20 years ago I was embarrassed by my card being declined (tried the SO's card also declined - stupid bank). You never know when a bank is going offline or declines your card for some stupid reason.
Same here.

Spizz

In 2009 I had my only card declined, or rather not accepted, in the Hilton Hotel Addis Ababa when I was checking out. There was a problem with the metallic strip and it eventually went through after about 20 swipes. I organised a Credit Card from my bank and a back up from Discovery as soon as I got home. Absolutely shit myself.

Düber

I also had my cards (debit and credit) declined at a petrol station in Richmond on my way to the Cape one year. The ATM's were also out but I eventually got some cash out of one in town.
Ever since then always make sure I have cards from two different banks and enough cash for a tank of fuel all the time.

Of course since then, aside from some Tymebank issues, they have always worked.

Dave

Christ, I’ll come over as completely paranoid then, not only do I have two debit cards from different banking groups, I also have made sure the credit cards I have are a mix of Visa and MasterCard. Whilst I’ve ended up with five credit cards they are only used to a fraction of their credit limits, iirc my total limit across the cards is around £40k and I have less than £2k use across them.

I also make sure I have enough cash on my person to fill my car and if needs be rent a hotel room.

biometrics

Though I've stopped usng cash alltogether, I still have nearly a grand of it in my wallet at all times.