How long did you take to drive confidently in all conditions?

Blantyre

I've been driving for three years now. I don't drive every day and use my parent's car. I can do trips to the local malls +- 10km without much issue and I drive decently in low to moderate traffic. I have done trips from Durban to PMB before in low to moderate traffic without much issue.

I still do have issues in high traffic particularly when it comes to changing lanes and doing right-hand turns at intersections. When in high traffic situations, I often do take longer cuts to avoid frustrating guys behind me when having to do a right-hand turn.

Anyone have tips on how to improve in high traffic?

Sinbad

It's been 28 years. I still don't think I'm confident in really bad conditions. Though I guess I'm more nervous about the prats around me...

biometrics

I was a confident driver when I started drinking. ;)

Practiced a single reverse park before going for my drivers test, then went for a few pints for my nerves. Examiner told me as we left the yard that he can see I can drive and to go back. Lol. Was 1987 I think.

Blantyre

I was a confident driver when I started drinking. ;)

Practiced a single reverse park before going for my drivers test, then went for a few pints for my nerves. Examiner told me as we left the yard that he can see I can drive and to go back. Lol. Was 1987 I think.

You passed first time?

I took two attempts. Failed first time after making a hash of the parallel parking. Second time I aced the parking but to be honest got a bit of luck on my side. While on the road, I nearly veered onto the yellow line during the test but the instructor cautioned me and I steered the car away in time and then passed. It was weird because she did that even though I did not pay a bribe.

AFAIK, driving on the yellow line is a fail.

I guess sometimes they are in good moods.

biometrics

You passed first time?

I took two attempts. Failed first time after making a hash of the parallel parking. Second time I aced the parking but to be honest got a bit of luck on my side. While on the road, I nearly veered onto the yellow line during the test but the instructor cautioned me and I steered the car away in time and then passed. It was weird because she did that even though I did not pay a bribe.

As mentioned it was 1987, we didn't have the crazy test then.

Düber

You will get to a point where after you have taken a drive it will feel to you like somebody else had driven you there, if that makes sense.

Be careful of trying to or getting too confident, experience will force you to be super concentrated in some situations and allow you to be more relaxed in others but if you ever get too comfortable or lax that's when things go wrong.

Düber

You passed first time?

I think you are allowed a mistake or two, been a long time since I took my test.

Blantyre

By driving in traffic a lot.

I guess so yes, I can now drive confidently on roads in my area in moderate traffic.

It would be nice if there would be an easy to install simulator app that could help without sophisticated equipment like what the F1 drivers use to get familiar with circuits.

EADC

After adapting to driving on the other side quite quickly, I realised I have never had an issue with driving.

Johnatan56

Two months or so after starting to drive daily? This was Blouberg to CBD to Constantia every morning/evening, Cape Town, so heavy traffic, light traffic, highway, residential, highway up/down mountain, etc.

Think I had two cases of nearly killing myself changing lanes while not properly checking that the person in front of me was actually going at the speed limit, and then learn that Taxis take chances like mad so try and avoid leaving openings for chances (as in figure out what does and does not work), etc. and at one point you won't even realize that you're completely fine driving daily.

Blantyre

Went on a road I don't travel on regularly today and made a terrible mistake. I was lucky to get out of it without any accident or anything but did have an oke get angry and show his fists etc. My control is okay but the mistakes happen usually when I'm on unfamiliar roads or roads I don't really go on regularly.

Basically, I was confused about which entrance to take and ended up basically slowing down when cars were at moderate speed.

How do you handle people who get really aggressive on the road?

biometrics

Went on a road I don't travel on regularly today and made a terrible mistake. I was lucky to get out of it without any accident or anything but did have an oke get angry and show his fists etc. My control is okay but the mistakes happen usually when I'm on unfamiliar roads or roads I don't really go on regularly.

Basically, I was confused about which entrance to take and ended up basically slowing down when cars were at moderate speed.

How do you handle people who get really aggressive on the road?
When you're looking for an exit and slow down to look use your indicator. Even if you don't actually end up turning.

If you make a mistake do the Cape Town thing and lift you left hand and do a little wave. (as an added tip you can get away with anything with this gesture :devilish: ;))