Home Brewing

GreGorGy

The yeast is a beast. I. Must tell you the porter that is now 3 months old with Ragnarok was sooop good. It was good to start off with its now just sublime!

I have an Oslo in my fridge. Given the excellent outcome of my lager recipe, and not having any more lager yeasts, maybe I will do my next lager with that Oslo. I pitched the stout at around 2 - it is bubbling furiously already. Just pitched the ale about 30 minutes ago.

SykomantiS

*The Spear: so, if you have a corny keg, all you do is unclip the top seal and drop the tube to the bottom and fill. But corny kegs are currently like hen's teeth so you would have to get the coupled keg. G is the standard used by SAB but you need not commit to that. The bonus if you do is that you can, if you are self-loathing, hook up a Black Label keg and truly fuck yourself up.

The spear needs to be removed from the keg but it has a little safety notch to prevent the entire head construction from shooting up into your face if you accidentally unscrew it. One needs to remove this safety feature and there are videos on youtube explaining how. I did this one:

I've been looking at this. I have a G type keg, for which I bought a new spear. Now what I want to know is how to refit the spear without grinding off / removing the security notch. Any ideas?

Also, dunno if they still have stock, but I recently (August) bought 3x 19 L ball lock corny kegs for R1350 a pop, brand new from Kegsolutions (they say 19 L which I guess is true for total volume, but it fits 18 L if you don't submerge the stock length gas dip tube).

GreGorGy

I've been looking at this. I have a G type keg, for which I bought a new spear. Now what I want to know is how to refit the spear without grinding off / removing the security notch. Any ideas?

Why do you want to keep the notch? I know you do get a spear removal tool but it is expensive and I have no idea if it works to remove the spear and then reseat it. I will check my empty G tonight though for clues.

SykomantiS

Why do you want to keep the notch? I know you do get a spear removal tool but it is expensive and I have no idea if it works to remove the spear and then reseat it. I will check my empty G tonight though for clues.
Well, for safety, and stuff... I guess.
It's a brand new spear, If I can get it working without hacking that would be my first option.

Also, on the ball lock kegs, it was September, not August. I think I put my name on the list in Aug but I paid for and received my kegs in September.

GreGorGy

Well, for safety, and stuff... I guess.
It's a brand new spear, If I can get it working without hacking that would be my first option.

Also, on the ball lock kegs, it was September, not August. I think I put my name on the list in Aug but I paid for and received my kegs in September.

Ah - safety. Safety flies out the window in my house - especially if it is closed. :ROFLMAO:

I think after two attempt to remove it you will be more than ready to cut off that notch. I have had no safety related incidents but I have had one or two spills that I think I will have suffered with or without the notch.

I went onto their site - they only have 2nd hand ball locks.

biometrics

If you can find a corny keg, then yes. Then you need the keg, the two disconnect adaptors, beer and gas line, the tap, the various push connectors and gas. But nobody seems to have any corny kegs.
Ah. Ok. So I need "corny" gear but it's out of stock?

satanboy

If you can find a corny keg, then yes. Then you need the keg, the two disconnect adaptors, beer and gas line, the tap, the various push connectors and gas. But nobody seems to have any corny kegs.

GreGorGy

So this (note the sold out):
1603308084738.png

The to connectors go on the IN (gas) and OUT (beer) posts on the corny keg. The beer line goes from the beer connector to the tap. It requires two of these - one for gas, one for beer (in the above pic they are screwed onto the connects but they are generally sold separately):

1603308210705.png

You need 5m more or less of beer line and 2m max of gas line. Then you need a regulator:
1603308269815.png

And finally a tap. All of these from various supplies since stocks are limited all over. Once you have all of that, if it is a normal tap then you need CO2. MyGas sells a small bottle (about 2L) for R600 then R250 per refill. If it is a nitro tap, you need another adaptor from the two-stage regulator to the nitro gas, which is about R750 and R120 per month but that then is refilled. Also from mygas. And that is a 10L gas bottle.

biometrics

GreGorGy

OK - there is this, but check with the guys at YeahBrew:

1603309252183.png

The Beer Tap is connected directly to the ball lock so you would be pouring direct from the keg - the tap won't be mounted. And the gas connect is swage so you would probably need hose clamps to hold the gas line on. The above would work but personally I would get their input too because my taps are mounted and I have several beer lines and can therefore draw from more than just the one keg.

SykomantiS

Those are the ones I paid R1350 for. That's a heavy price right there.

So I checked - I can see no way to return the spear without removing the notch. At least that is true on my 30L. I am pretty sure my 10L had a groove to fit it through but that still has about 5L of lager in it and I won't be able to pump that out till at least Saturday.
I can drop the spear right into mine- just have to tilt it a bit on the last part when it's almost entirely inserted into the keg to clear the inside lip, so now I just need to find a way to reconnect it to the tri-clamp part. Guess I'll see if the vice grip works for that (mine's a 50 L keg and micromatic spear).