Have you ever been fired from a job? How did you handle it?

Blantyre

I've yet to be fired from a full-time job but have had freelance clients get frustrated with me and end jobs prematurely. Either I was unable to deliver to their expectations or procrastinated and messed up with deadlines or was too lazy.

I've had some freelance clients turn into long-term clients but generally I find I'm more inclined to mess up when I don't enjoy the work. Generally, a minority of my clients turn into long-term work but such is the nature of life it seems.

Last edited:

Tribs

No - I have left every job. Basically, because they did not meet promised expectations. And I get bored easily. And don't like working for people.

SlinkyMike

I've been asked to leave before. They offered me 3 months salary and go now or be 'managed out'. Cunts. I said I'll take six months or be the biggest pain in your ass for the next three, they agreed, I told them: "Fuck you very much" and left.

Nope

Worked for myself for 18 years and have never been fired ... yet ;-)
Employee of the month 216 months running!

Johnatan56

Nope, but then again I've never been at a company where I've not delivered way more value than I was paid.
4th company starting next month, busy doing some more interviews, will see what I get, at least working hours reduce (South Africa is 8 hour day + 1 hour lunch break, Austria is 7 hours + 1, but all the agreements sent to me so far are 38.5 hours) and way more holiday (5 days/week = 25 working days leave as a min, most contracts I've looked at so far are 30-35).

Back when I was working with contracting company start-up, of about 20 projects in 3 years, didn't have a single one where client "fired" us, only two clients where the client didn't pay sadly, and then a handful where decline since cost before contract start (though usually pretty good at scoping it, which is why rare client declined).

I am actually slightly shocked that I have never even been given a warning, I've had a few blunders where I insulted a boss, but it's expected IT people are not good socially, and usually shows care about the work.

Sinbad

Nope, but then again I've never been at a company where I've not delivered way more value than I was paid.
4th company starting next month, busy doing some more interviews, will see what I get, at least working hours reduce (South Africa is 8 hour day + 1 hour lunch break, Austria is 7 hours + 1, but all the agreements sent to me so far are 38.5 hours) and way more holiday (5 days/week = 25 working days leave as a min, most contracts I've looked at so far are 30-35).

Back when I was working with contracting company start-up, of about 20 projects in 3 years, didn't have a single one where client "fired" us, only two clients where the client didn't pay sadly, and then a handful where decline since cost before contract start (though usually pretty good at scoping it, which is why rare client declined).

I am actually slightly shocked that I have never even been given a warning, I've had a few blunders where I insulted a boss, but it's expected IT people are not good socially, and usually shows care about the work.
Never had a warning either, in 27 years.

Generally I'm a game changer when I join a team...

Moosedrool

I have had to fire someone though - it was not pleasant.

And sitting in the disciplinary hearings before dismissing the employee. The most awkward moment of a recent dismissal was the lies while we reviewed the evidence beforehand but didn't present it yet.

But you grow a thick skin quick when it's completely warranted. Retrenching staff is worse for me.

Paul Hjul

Wrongfully terminated once, own entirety of underlying assets of the company now. A crash and burn followed my firing - I didn't light the fire and I avoided pouring on oil but without my to put it out well you can understand what happens. Situation was complicated by the fact that while the company stopped paying my salary and I was excluded from operations and being an employee I remained a director and minority shareholder.

Have terminated employees employment, was in the position of being good cop and really end of the road cop.