Ground cover

biometrics

Ordered two of these solar lights (128 LEDs) for the new zone with ground cover and around the corner that now has a bench and grow boxes etc). So don't need an electrician to run cables and drill holes and stuff. Only R260 each from Takealot. 6,000 lumens (60W LED so pretty bright.)

Screenshot_20210423-143439__01.jpg

Last edited:

spiderz

Ordered two of these solar lights (128 LEDs) for the new zone with ground cover and around the corner that now has a bench and grow boxes etc). So don't need an electrician to run cables and drill holes and stuff. Only R260 each from Takealot. 6,000 lumens (60W LED so pretty bright.)

View attachment 12992
Linky top them?

biometrics

Works well, using rocks. I've got almost no grass left. Most is covered by river pebbles, like in your photo.
Works best, did you lay some garden fabric under the rocks to held discourage any plant growth under the rocks?
Garden black plastic.

Düber

That has turned into a really lovely spot. Those lights look like just enough.

biometrics

That has turned into a really lovely spot. Those lights look like just enough.
What isn't obvious is that the right hand side around the corner we painted the unused foundation green, installed a garden arch (which the creepers will fill), planter boxes and a bench. That goes with the left hand side with the pebbles and picnic bench. A dead zone converted into a favourite spot.

biometrics

@biometrics have you timed how long a day's charge lasts on those lights?
No, just use it occasionally for a few hours. So far only once actually for when I have a braai and it gets dark. Ran it maybe two hours. These have small panels so I don't think it's going to run for hours every day imo.

For proper solar light I have this in front of the house for load shedding, that lights up a large area very well, better than my regular front lights in fact:

biometrics

Both claim to be 60W, don't believe it. The one in front yes that's 60W LED for sure. Also I noticed they use different types of LEDs, the front ones are quite chunky, the back ones flatter and smaller.