Facts that are perhaps very useful

biometrics

Another mirror thread, this time @scudsucker's

Moving a few posts from there to here (see above).

biometrics

Don't give this to your pets:

biometrics

Onion and garlic is what most people don't know (imo). Grapes is new to me.

scudsucker

I have a large avocado tree which is full of unripe fruit right now, so I am aware of the dogs. Luckily the greedy one doesn't eat fruit and the stupid one has not realised that these things are food.

Apparently the most toxic part to dogs is the seed.

My greedy dog has been hospitalised after stealing chocolate, last Easter.

Rudolph Hart

I know many dogs that eat avos which have fallen off trees. They are all fat, but not dead.

Rudolph Hart

You used to get a fine for running out of fuel on the freeways in Jo’burg years ago. It was illegal to stop on the freeway unless it was due to circumstances beyond your control and fuel is under your control.

Technically I suspect it’s still illegal to stop on the freeway, but it’s not really policed anymore.

Last edited:

satanboy

To measure outdoor air temperature on land, the setup is simple. A thermometer is placed inside an enclosure such as the common wooden box-shaped Cotton Region Shelter, which is the American version of the Stevenson screen, developed by Scottish lighthouse engineer and meteorologist Thomas Stevenson in the 19th century. There’s also the more modern Maximum-Minimum Temperature System (MMTS), which is often used for U.S. official air temperature measurements and looks more like a beehive. Regardless of the shape, the enclosure is white in color to reflect solar radiation, which heats the thermometer and keeps it from getting an accurate air temperature reading. The enclosure also typically has slatted sides to allow air flow, and a double roof (a roof and a raised roof over that) to protect the thermometer from rain and further resist the influence of the Sun.

The bottom of the enclosure is situated between 1.2 and 2 meters (4.1 to 6.5 feet) above the ground, which should be grass or dirt (if it’s grass, it should be kept short). The area around the enclosure should be free of trees, and preferably there should be a good view of the horizon. The enclosure should be kept away from buildings and pavement, which capture heat from the Sun throughout the day and can make the thermometer artificially warm. All this is meant to ensure that the thermometer is getting the true temperature with unobstructed air flow and without interference from radiating heat. Some enclosures, and all MMTSs, are outfitted with a fan to maintain a consistent air flow no matter the ambient conditions, further enhancing the accuracy of the air temperature measurements.

satanboy

Kleinmond is a small coastal town in the Overberg region of the Western Cape province, South Africa
A herd of wild horses is known to roam free in the marshlands at the Bot River lagoon area, next to Rooisands Nature Reserve. They are believed to be South Africa's only herd of wild horses in a wetland habitat.
Kleinmond is in the middle of an area known as the "Heart of the Cape Fynbos floral kingdom" that is included in the world-renowned Kogelberg Biosphere Reserve.

biometrics

Kleinmond is a small coastal town in the Overberg region of the Western Cape province, South Africa
A herd of wild horses is known to roam free in the marshlands at the Bot River lagoon area, next to Rooisands Nature Reserve. They are believed to be South Africa's only herd of wild horses in a wetland habitat.
Kleinmond is in the middle of an area known as the "Heart of the Cape Fynbos floral kingdom" that is included in the world-renowned Kogelberg Biosphere Reserve.
They hang out in Fisherhaven.

satanboy

1708089909871.png
Public transport Fast and free, the best way to explore the country. Public transport is a fast, clean and free way of getting about in Luxembourg. Yes, you heard it right: it's free! Since 2020, all modes of public transport - buses, trains and the tram - have been free of charge throughout Luxembourg.