Exploding head syndrome

Have you experienced it?

• Yes

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters

biometrics

Exploding head syndrome (EHS) is an abnormal sensory perception during sleep in which a person experiences unreal noises that are loud and of short duration when falling asleep or waking up.[2][4] The noise may be frightening, typically occurs only occasionally, and is not a serious health concern.[2] People may also experience a flash of light.[5] Pain is typically absent.[2] Despite the name, the sufferer's head does not actually explode.

@LD50 @Jings

Jings

It would be interesting to know if stress could be a possible factor in most of the cases.
We can rule out earth leakage as that does not happen to humans.

Düber

I thought it was just something that happened to me and did not realise it is a common thing.
Its startling when it happens but has never bothered me much, certainly not enough to find anything out about it.

Tribs

I also didn't realise it was a thing. If we all have it - how uncommon is it? :unsure: I get it while awake too. I will be deep in thought and hear the bang. And end up wondering if I actually heard it or imagined it.

satanboy

It is very frightening. I've experienced it a lot.
Very loud bang. Sounds like an explosion or sometimes like someone is kicking down a door.

Jings

Haven't had an episode since last week. Still wondering what could be the cause. Not ruling out stress.

biometrics

Haven't had an episode since last week. Still wondering what could be the cause. Not ruling out stress.
Mine lasted a few months in 2013 or 2014 and I've never had it since. Probably 2014 as I was very stressed then with business and thus financial problems.

Last edited:

Jings

Mine lasted a few months in 2013 or 2014 and I've never had it since. Probably 2014 as I was very stressed then with business and this financial problems.
Luckily you've come a long way financially since then.