Eskom Power Alerts

Spizz

What kind of batteries do they use for that scale?

They are lithium and each the size of a small container. Lots of them daisy chained together. Capacity of each will no doubt differ between manufacturers, but ours are a bit over 1000KWh each.

biometrics

They are lithium and each the size of a small container. Lots of them daisy chained together. Capacity of each will no doubt differ between manufacturers, but ours are a bit over 1000KWh each.
I'm used to thinking in Ah due to my little backup system. How do you convert Ah <-> kWh?

biometrics

No idea. I’m a civil engineer
Google says:

One (Ah) equals the amount of charge (think electrons) moved by a current of one Amp for one hour. ... Watt-Hour (Wh) is a unit of measurement that describes accumulated energy. One Watt-Hour (Wh) is the resulting energy from operating at a power of 1 Watt for 1 hour.

/scratches head

biometrics

So 800MWh means 800 of those containers.

Spizz

Google says:

One (Ah) equals the amount of charge (think electrons) moved by a current of one Amp for one hour. ... Watt-Hour (Wh) is a unit of measurement that describes accumulated energy. One Watt-Hour (Wh) is the resulting energy from operating at a power of 1 Watt for 1 hour.

/scratches head

I do get the W and Wh bit.

For example. A 50MW power plant can pump out enough electricity to supply approx 50,000 home constantly.

Batteries storing 100MWh for example. will store enough power to supply 50,000 homes for 2 hour should the constant supply from the power plant stop.

Spizz

I was in the substation but I took a few snaps of the hillside, I’ll post later. Long day driving from Clanwilliam through the bundis and now in Worcester. Man you can’t believe how hot it is up there. Thankfully it’s now gone from 40 earlier up there to 20 degrees here.

Just had a shower and am currently rehydrating in the hotel bar :p

Spizz

A couple of pics of the PV plant at Paleisheuvel. It's hard to get an idea of the scale without a fancy lens and a decent angle, but here they are nonetheless :p

paleis.jpgpaleis2.jpg