Earth Gains 5,200 Tons of Dust From Space Every Year

Seldom Bucket

Whenever I wipe the dust off my coffee table or catch a glimpse of dust motes floating in sunlight, my spacey mind always wonders, is any of that cosmic dust?

It just might be. But the amount of space dust that lands on our planet every year might surprise you.

Scientists have long known that there is annual flux of extraterrestrial material deposited on Earth, which mainly comes in the form of tiny particles, primarily from comets and asteroids. These sub-millimeter-sized dust grains are the ones that can make it down through our atmosphere unscathed. But the exact amount has never been calculated, due to the difficulty in collecting and monitoring this dust. The biggest issue is that Earth itself and the atmosphere are dusty places, so if you’re collecting dust, how do you discern between Earth dust and space dust?

Lara

A dust collector on the ISS would have yielded better results. ;)

Looking at the moon, it is evident that there is a lot of dust floating in space.
Do you think NASA will send another mission to check it Neil Armstrong's footprints are covered?

JacobCooper45

Well, it's the reason why I spend all my free time cleaning up my room several times a week... I adored space so much, but it turned out to be that it's responsible for all my sorrows...Now I don't even know how to continue exploring it...:D Well, I'm just looking, but the information is rather interesting. I haven't heard about it before, and it's strange because I read a lot of information about space and adore studying astronomy...Well, live and learn.

Nicholas

Ah, so what you are saying is that insulting those who go gaga over you is the only way you are able to have a moment's peace. It seems you are seen as quite the catch.