Donate towards running costs

biometrics

No worries, just wondering. It's cheaper to send your PayPal funds to a USD balance in Wise, then convert the amount to your ZAR balance in Wise, and then send to any SA bank account for ±R90. It takes a day from PayPal -> Wise and <1 hour from Wise -> SA, so it's both cheaper and faster.
R90 is way too much for the donations.

Bryn

Less.

The last one was an amount of R484.03 of which I got R476.82 and they took R7.21 so 1.49%.
Have you considered their stingy exchange rate as well? I was getting fleeced on PayPal transfers before switching to Wise. All my international clients pay via PayPal.

biometrics

Have you considered their stingy exchange rate as well? I was getting fleeced on PayPal transfers before switching to Wise. All my international clients pay via PayPal.
True, didn't factor that in. But we're talking small amounts here so not sure it's worth the extra step.

biometrics

I'm going to switch to reporting the donation total in Rand as I transfer the Dollar donations from my Paypal account to my FNB cheque account and pay the bills with my FNB credit card in Rand. Paypal and FNB both take a cut of the donations too.

From October 2020 to date I have received R9,493.98 in donations after Paypal and FNB commissions and including EFTs.

This has covered expenses from March 2020 to May 2021 for the Xenforo license ($160), annual Xenforo renewal/support ($55), Xenforo Media Gallery ($65), DigitalOcean droplet ($150), DigitalOcean backup ($30), Absolute Hosting domain (R170), Absolute Hosting email (R300) and AWS SES (R20). For expenses of about R8,000 to date.

Thanks for the support!

biometrics

@Sinbad thanks for the donation, I only noticed the Paypal notification now. For some reason it was in my Outlook Archive folder, a feature that is turned off and that I don't use, so fuck knows how it ended up there.

biometrics

Oops, didn't subtract the FNB commissions from the previous Rand totals, correct total to date is R10,134.20