Does this forum tolerate racism?

derp

Hello,

I've noticed on a certain other popular forum that thinly veiled racism is tolerated. I frequent the forum only to peruse SA-specific informative threads such as bargains and opinions on products, and ask advice on purchasing decisions etc.

Noticing the stuff that gets posted there constantly is really getting to me. I can't believe there hasn't been an expose or something. It's truly rife with disgusting threads and it seems to be getting worse.

How is this forum's stance on thinly-veiled-obviously-racist-AWB-white-supremacist threads?

biometrics

We have very basic rules here:

Veiled racism is frowned upon. As the admin I've removed such posts I've noticed or once alerted to it. It doesn't happen often though, we're a small community. In the past year I've deleted maybe 2-3 posts.

The first post in the Welcome thread might explain some things...

LD50

How is this forum's stance on thinly-veiled-obviously-racist-AWB-white-supremacist threads?
Sorry dud but AWB and thinly-veiled-racism ? Thinly veiled?
AWB still a thing?

Dave

Hello,

I've noticed on a certain other popular forum that thinly veiled racism is tolerated. I frequent the forum only to peruse SA-specific informative threads such as bargains and opinions on products, and ask advice on purchasing decisions etc.

Noticing the stuff that gets posted there constantly is really getting to me. I can't believe there hasn't been an expose or something. It's truly rife with disgusting threads and it seems to be getting worse.

One or two of those people posted here as well, they haven’t been around for a while though.

Blantyre

One or two of those people posted here as well, they haven’t been around for a while though.

Many news articles seem to have a right-wing bias as well. Every couple of weeks, there is an article about how BEE is ruining the country and immigration killing the economy, things that would appeal to those types and they always storm the threads.

If the funders/leadership are right-wing, they probably do see validity in those remarks. There are also some problematic left-wing users but action is quickly taken against them whereas there is more leeway for the extremists with right-wing biases.

Johnatan56

Many news articles seem to have a right-wing bias as well. Every couple of weeks, there is an article about how BEE is ruining the country and immigration killing the economy, things that would appeal to those types and they always storm the threads.

If the funders/leadership are right-wing, they probably do see validity in those remarks. There are also some problematic left-wing users but action is quickly taken against them whereas there is more leeway for the extremists with right-wing biases.
Well BEE is ruining the economy, immigration is happening at a scale not seen before, and those are things that people would click on as a lot are thinking about or have been affected by it (as in family/friends moved, e.g. I did 1.5 months ago now).

MyBB itself is a business, Rudolf is trying to make money, the articles reflect that.

The actual posters is something else.

LD50

Well this is just a stupid comment to make.

Blantyre

Well BEE is ruining the economy, immigration is happening at a scale not seen before, and those are things that people would click on as a lot are thinking about or have been affected by it (as in family/friends moved, e.g. I did 1.5 months ago now).

Agreed. It's toxic. Users with left-wing views are often bullied and many end up leaving. It is basically somewhat of a right-wing echo chamber.

Blantyre

Well this is just a stupid comment to make.

Sure, you can certainly bring up those topics.

However, a headline like "Plan to force South African ISPs to have black ownership being finalized" is certainly sensational and designed to provoke. This was from staff and not even from a user. Some of the users post far worse stuff, some of which is blatant Apartheid apologetics.

I say it's sensationalist because why did they not mention the percentage of black ownership that will be required? The headline makes it seem as though it is extreme.

Last edited:

Blantyre

When News24 closed down their comments many ended up at you know where.

Some must also be among the South Africans who frequent Stormfront. They go out of their way to defend right-wing radicals like Steve Hofmeyr and Willem Petzer.

Blantyre

I pointed out racist posts to a moderator from MyBB and they just ignored it.

They quickly take action if its anti-white racism. If it's anti-black racism, there is a bit more leeway for "free speech"and it has to be blatant.