Do you buy second hand tech (especially laptops and phones)?

Blantyre

I'm considering buying my next PC second hand. I only really need basic features and nothing too advanced as I don't work in IT.

With that being said, I do realize that buying second hand can often go wrong. I once bought a mirrorless camera second hand for 3.5k when the original retail price was 15k and whilst it lasted for a couple of months, it stopped working when I went to India.

Do you buy secondhand laptops and phones? If so, what are things that you should look out for?

Lara

I haven't bought one secondhand yet but if I do I'll want to see and test it before I spend anything on it.

Physical appearance of the laptop/phone and the person who's selling will be determining factors. :)

Y2K

I'm considering buying my next PC second hand. I only really need basic features and nothing too advanced as I don't work in IT.

With that being said, I do realize that buying second hand can often go wrong. I once bought a mirrorless camera second hand for 3.5k when the original retail price was 15k and whilst it lasted for a couple of months, it stopped working when I went to India.

Do you buy secondhand laptops and phones? If so, what are things that you should look out for?
If you only need basic features then go with a new machine, cost shouldn't be that much. What is your budget? Please state whether it will need to include a screen etc.

Lastly if you still want to proceed with second hand items then go with carbonite.co.za don't bother with gumtree, OLX etc.

Blantyre

If you only need basic features then go with a new machine, cost shouldn't be that much. What is your budget? Please state whether it will need to include a screen etc.

Lastly if you still want to proceed with second hand items then go with carbonite.co.za don't bother with gumtree, OLX etc.

I was looking at Radical Refurbs and they seem to have a good reputation but are a bit on the pricey side.

Also, every once in a while, I come across a deal which can seem a bit too good to be true on Bid or Buy. The sellers usually have good reputations which makes me thing they are legit. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Y2K

I was looking at Radical Refurbs and they seem to have a good reputation but are a bit on the pricey side.

Also, every once in a while, I come across a deal which can seem a bit too good to be true on Bid or Buy. The sellers usually have good reputations which makes me thing they are legit. Does anyone have any experience with this?
Do not buy computers on bid or buy. What is the point in cheaping out and then having issues down the road, you're going to keep having issues if you buying outdated hardware along with lower end hardware.

bigAl-sa

I have never bought a new mobile phone for myself. I always buy a device a couple of years after the release and always Samsung Note devices.

I got a Note 8 in superb condition for under R4k in June last year.

bigAl-sa

Ok, but do you buy new units of older models or are the units second hand?
Second hand. I always test the unit and do a factory reset in the presence of the seller to check that the device is not locked.

biometrics

I buy new. Only used items I’ve bought is a LTE router and antenna, oh and recently a iPhone 7 with warranty from the iStore.

@newjourno I’ll have a Lenovo G500 for sale in two weeks for R1,500, just waiting for a replacement LCD cable from Amazon.

Rudolph Hart

Why are all your threads phrased as questions? It feels a lot like you’re asking for help with your homework.