DIY and other Projects

Tribs

Today is FS so my day is taken up by that. So tomorrow is the day!!! I shall build my barrier on Easter Sunday.

Tribs

Ingress First Saturday. The game's social event once a month. I am one of the organisers. We try and keep the community connected and having fun - especially during covid as we cannot meet up in person

scudsucker

Not sure if this counts as "DIY" but last friday I assisted a millwright to re-line the brake wheel and radius the caliper brakes of a windmill.

We built (mostly, the millwright) a custom lathe for the wheel and a custom "radial plane" gig to mount a router for the brake shoe.

20210313_094420.jpg20210326_102048.jpg20210326_114857.jpg

Last edited:

Düber

Not sure if this counts as "DIY" but last friday I assisted a millwright to re-line the brake wheel and radius the caliper brakes of a windmill.

We built a custom lathe for the wheel and a custom "radial plane" gig to mount a router for the brake shoe.
Wow that is really impressive, where is this windmill?

Tribs

Tribs

Not so much DIY but I did do a lot of things.
We have lived in this house for more than 25 years. Hubby was not big on having people around as he just didn't like people. So as a result things deteriorated. This was the state of the pool. I had it drained shortly after he passed.
IMG_20211011_152617.jpgIMG_20211011_152620.jpgIMG_20211011_152718.jpgIMG_20211011_152737.jpg
So I got quite a few quotes and selected one of them. And the work started and was finished in about 4 days. From the chipping of the base, removing the mosaics, adding pool cement to marble-lite and new mosaics.
IMG_20211115_172802.jpgIMG_20211115_172810.jpgIMG_20211115_172822.jpg
IMG_20211116_181934.jpgIMG_20211116_181948.jpg
Seems I can only attach 10 images - next post will be the final stages.

Tribs

And these are the final steps. Still a few things I want to do - but it was a beginning.
IMG_20211117_094514.jpgIMG_20211117_112758.jpg
IMG_20211119_175237.jpgIMG_20211120_165039.jpg
IMG_20211122_000714.jpg
This is the effect of the LED light - I love it!!!!
Sadly it has rained every day since the pool was completed so have not been able to swim yet.

Tribs

Your pool looks awesome.
Thank you - I have had to wait years to think the same thing

Just wait till you see what I have planned for the rest of the house. Sadly the guy I have chosen to do the building is really busy - as he doesn't leave the workers to do all the work. So he does one project at a time. I have a list:

Already fixed the garage roof. The roof trusses were collapsing and breaking - so had them all reinforced, strengthened. I do have pics of that.

Garage doors need to be automated. They used to be but they are old doors and not maintained so they blew the motor.

The outside shower is a state. The foundations were cracked and we did not know so water has been seeping through the walls into my cupboards and bedroom. So we are going to redesign her shower - give her more space and tile the whole room - add a new door and nice fittings.

Then the dressing room in my bedroom - we are going to take out the existing cupboards and replace them with shelves and hanging space, perhaps a vanity under the window as I have no mirrors in my room, add a sliding glass door to close it up.

Tile all the bedrooms and repaint. Replace the doors on two of the rooms.

Then the bathrooms are weird - will provide pics for context when the work begins. But it is really a very long room that has a diagonal wall with a bath on either side. This wastes a lot of space. The bathrooms are very dated. So will remove the bath from my side completely, add a big walk-in shower with a seat, move the toilet and basin. retile and put the mirror at a level so that I can see more than just the top of my head.

The other bathroom will get a new bath and basin and a walk-in shower with seat. Retiled. New ceilings throughout.

The kitchen. All cupboards will be replaced. Granite or stone countertops. Bar area will be turned into a breakfast table and the glass cupboards above will be removed. The room will be tiled to the ceiling.

The sink will be replaced and the dishwasher enclosed. The washing machine will move outside to the washing room we will add on. I will get spice cupboards and pull out grocery cupboards - really excited about that. Replace the ancient stove with a gas/electric one. My financial advisor is hoping I will take his new Smeg that he is moving out of his one property - is willing to drop the price by 50%, it is only 9 months old. Still, a bit much as I am not big on brands. But will see. I plan to get rid of the chest freezer and buy a combo fridge freezer with a water dispenser. A+ rating. I am loving my ice machine I treated myself to. My lady is excited as she will get two fridges and a chest freezer. Though the fridges have seen better days.

We will change the steps at the back door to go straight down instead of turning as they do. We will add windows to the courtyard and a roof and tiles. We will add plumbing and electricity. The washing machine will move out there. Will have a broom cupboard. New door to close it off.

Double wendy will need sanding, varnishing and repairing.

All windows will need sanding, treating and repainting, the burglar bars do too. All fences and gates resanded, treated and painted.

Insulation put in the roof. Perhaps repaint the roof.

Finish building my pause area next to the pool.

Add drainage to the front porch so it doesn't flood. Would love to have money left over to enclose it. Would make a nice gym/sun/chinchilla room.

Yes I have big dreams - and this place has been left to deteriorate. I am at fault as I never fought to do the things that were needed. Hopefully, everything works out.

Last edited:

Lara

Just wait till you see what I have planned for the rest of the house. Sadly the guy I have chosen to do the building is really busy - as he doesn't leave the workers to do all the work. So he does one project at a time. I have a list:

Already fixed the garage roof. The roof trusses were collapsing and breaking - so had them all reinforced, strengthened. I do have pics of that.

Garage doors need to be automated. They used to be but they are old doors and not maintained so they blew the motor.

The outside shower is a state. The foundations were cracked and we did not know so water has been seeping through the walls into my cupboards and bedroom. So we are going to redesign her shower - give her more space and tile the whole room - add a new door and nice fittings.

Then the dressing room in my bedroom - we are going to take out the existing cupboards and replace them with shelves and hanging space, perhaps a vanity under the window as I have no mirrors in my room, add a sliding glass door to close it up.

Then the bathrooms are weird - will provide pics for context when the work begins. But it is really a very long room that has a diagonal wall with a bath on either side. This wastes a lot of space. The bathrooms are very dated. So will remove the bath from my side completely, add a big walk-in shower with a seat, move the toilet and basin. retile and put the mirror at a level so that I can see more than just the top of my head.

The other bathroom will get a new bath and basin and a walk-in shower with seat. Retiled. New ceilings throughout.

The kitchen. All cupboards will be replaced. Granite or stone countertops. Bar area will be turned into a breakfast table and the glass cupboards above will be removed. The room will be tiled to the ceiling.

The sink will be replaced and the dishwasher enclosed. The washing machine will move outside to the washing room we will add on. I will get spice cupboards and pull out grocery cupboards - really excited about that. Replace the ancient stove with a gas/electric one. My financial advisor is hoping I will take his new Smeg that he is moving out of his one property - is willing to drop the price by 50%, it is only 9 months old. Still, a bit much as I am not big on brands. But will see. I plan to get rid of the chest freezer and buy a combo fridge freezer with a water dispenser. A+ rating. I am loving my ice machine I treated myself to. My lady is excited as she will get two fridges and a chest freezer. Though the fridges have seen better days.

We will change the steps at the back door to go straight down instead of turning as they do. We will add windows to the courtyard and a roof and tiles. We will add plumbing and electricity. The washing machine will move out there. Will have a broom cupboard. New door to close it off.

All windows will need sanding, treating and repainting, the burglar bars do too. All fences and gates resanded, treated and painted.

Add drainage to the front porch so it doesn't flood. Would love to have money left over to enclose it. Would make a nice gym/sun/chinchilla room.

Yes I have big dreams - and this place has been left to deteriorate. I am at fault as I never fought to do the things that were needed. Hopefully, everything works out.
Wow! It's going to keep you busy for a while, but it will be worth it. :)

satanboy

1641969624891.png

scudsucker

update-7-1-1024x769.png
Starting the mill rebuild. This is the base of the cap, which rotates on a ring of wood. More at the website

Tribs

There has been some progress on this

We stripped both bathrooms to the bare skeleton - but in stages. We still lived in the home so needed a shower and toilet. So the work was staggered.
I am making the pictures really small so I can add more of them.
IMG_20220207_131834.jpgIMG_20220207_131841.jpgIMG_20220207_131854.jpgIMG_20220207_132452.jpg
IMG_20220207_132510.jpgIMG_20220207_132524.jpgIMG_20220207_132551.jpgIMG_20220308_111941.jpgIMG_20220308_111942.jpgIMG_20220308_153432.jpg