Dilemma- WhatsApp

Will you accept WhatsApp's new terms and conditions ?

• Yes

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • No

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Unsure

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Düber

I am in a dilemma about ditching WhatsApp or not.
I have installed both Signal and Telegram and like them both, but only about 60% of the people I need to deal with are on either of them. The other problem are the groups.

On the other hand I have avoided Facebook, using throwaway accounts and email should I need to access it for any reason. It is feeling to me like Whatsapp is leading me down the garden path with a "accept this" every now and then, with an ever increasing grip over things.

I am certainly not so naive to think that you can be completely anonymous and untracked when you use a phone or the internet. In this age you have to trust somebody, whether it be Apple or Google or Samsung etc.
I also get that things need to be paid for and developing an App/platform and providing the infrastructure is not cheap and has to be funded somehow.

It just seems to me that WhatsApp/Facebook is going about it the wrong way.

Seldom Bucket

Bigging if the year I told people I know or deal with, telegram or sms else I will not see your message

Düber

Bigging if the year I told people I know or deal with, telegram or sms else I will not see your message
I have no problem with that as most reasonable people do. A year or so ago I moved my WhatApp to my other number to get rid of some chancers and timewasters and force them to phone or SMS.
The only real thing are the groups. I can't for instance expect the school to change so they can accommodate me.

biometrics

I only have a FB account to access some data, no friends or likes or posts. Zero. Spend almost no time there. So what will WA get out of me, nothing.

Düber

I only have a FB account to access some data, no friends or likes or posts. Zero. Spend almost no time there. So what will WA get out of me, nothing.
That's an interesting take on things, one I have not considered.

I did choose the "not to share with Facebook" option( luckily, as I believe it was a one time only thing) a few years back and they do say( for now at least) that they will honour it.

Bryn

I've used Telegram primarily for years already. All my closest friends, family and colleagues are on it. I keep WhatsApp installed because it's ubiquitous and would be a frequent issue if I didn't have it. Not to mention my neighbourhood's awesome WhatsApp group that keeps me in the loop.

I've never held any illusions about privacy when it comes to WhatsApp. It's owned by Facebook for god's sake. But I'll always hold out hope for more people to switch to Telegram. It's superior in every possible way, most especially with its untethered, standalone desktop apps and massive group sizes.

Düber

I've used Telegram primarily for years already. All my closest friends, family and colleagues are on it. I keep WhatsApp installed because it's ubiquitous and would be a frequent issue if I didn't have it. Not to mention my neighbourhood's awesome WhatsApp group that keeps me in the loop.

I've never held any illusions about privacy when it comes to WhatsApp. It's owned by Facebook for god's sake. But I'll always hold out hope for more people to switch to Telegram. It's superior in every possible way, most especially with its untethered, standalone desktop apps and massive group sizes.
Yes I agree with you, Telegram is my goto when I want to send a message. It is a bit of a pity WA has got so dominant while there are better alternatives.

I don't actively dislike WA, it works well. Hence my dilemma.

Seldom Bucket

Still more data mining & the idea that the criminals running this shit hole wants to store peoples messages

Seldom Bucket

****massive™

Tribs

I have used Telegram for ages. Well, I use Plus on my phone as I like tabs. But many people use WA so I do too.

Nicholas

I use both Telegram and WhatsApp. Some of my contacts use the latter, and I can't force them to change to the former.