Database Management and Development Tools

biometrics

I've used MySQL and phpMyAdmin for ages but need to move to a desktop management application with SSH support to our remote database. I've been using dbForge but I'm not a huge fan.

What do you use?

Last edited:

Bryn

Where possible I stick to phpMyAdmin, but these are the best desktop options I've come across thus far:

1st place: Sequel Pro. Only available on macOS though.
2nd: MySQL Workbench
3rd: HeidiSQL

Johnatan56

Datagrip, you can set up SSL on the data source, no need to login all the time.
Note the price tag though (do pick individual):
1607501133539.png

And has material theme as a plugin. :p

Otherwise key features I like:
- Refactor and find usages, can jump from SP to table by following the link
- Code analysis and quick fixes, e.g. converting case statements to IIF
- Diff viewer for changes a query will do
- Reverse engineer the ERD
- Auto alias
- Column name hints
- DDL aware (so if query contains table create or alter, subsequent statements will know of the change/IDE will not complain)
etc.

Only free option I work with is Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio, but that's SQL Server only I think.

GreGorGy

Where possible I stick to phpMyAdmin, but these are the best desktop options I've come across thus far:

1st place: Sequel Pro. Only available on macOS though.

By far. What amazes me is that you get all these premium apps and none of them holds a candle to Sequel Pro. It id my go-to tool for MySQL/MariaDB work.

biometrics

By far. What amazes me is that you get all these premium apps and none of them holds a candle to Sequel Pro. It id my go-to tool for MySQL/MariaDB work.
Well I am looking for an excuse to get a Mac... The 2017 MacBook Air from FNB is even cheaper than from iStore...

Johnatan56

Well I am looking for an excuse to get a Mac... The 2017 MacBook Air from FNB is even cheaper than from iStore...

That's a terrible machine, the 2018 is substantially better. Better screen, better trackpad (force touch and larger), and thunderbolt support.
Only issue is the butterfly keyboard, but I'm guess you'd plug in a keyboard most of the time.

biometrics

That's a terrible machine, the 2018 is substantially better. Better screen, better trackpad (force touch and larger), and thunderbolt support.
Only issue is the butterfly keyboard, but I'm guess you'd plug in a keyboard most of the time.
It might be better but it costs more. Big Sur runs fast on it, it's 1440x900 on 13.3" which is fine. i5, 128GB SSD, 8GB RAM etc. Perfect for a Mac n00b that wants it as his side chick.

R14,376 over 24 months including a free sim with data & stuff.

My Lenovo Thinkpad is already docked with an external display, speakers, mouse, keyboard... Not replacing that. Actually have two docks and power supplies.

Screenshot_20201210-174057.jpg

Last edited:

Johnatan56

It might be better but it costs more.
Your getting a Mac excuse is bad then. :p

Just try out datagrip on trial,
1st year: R1400,
2nd year: R1070,
3rd year: R800

So R600 * 24 = R14400 which is about 17 years of Datagrip subs while not tied to a garbage machine.

biometrics

Your getting a Mac excuse is bad then. :p

Just try out datagrip on trial,
1st year: R1400,
2nd year: R1070,
3rd year: R800

So R600 * 24 = R14400 which is about 17 years of Datagrip subs while not tied to a garbage machine.
Now don't be like that. :p