Data is Beautiful - SA edition

biometrics

Surprised to see a very wide spread between the European countries, I never would have thought that to be the case. Also shows how our data prices have actually dropped compared to a few years ago.
Nice find.
More:

Johnatan56

Surprised to see a very wide spread between the European countries, I never would have thought that to be the case. Also shows how our data prices have actually dropped compared to a few years ago.
Nice find.
Switzerland has basically the choice of 1GB @ 10 EUR, 4GB @ 20 EUR and then uncapped at 30 EUR as a ballpark, you don't really get a "per gigabyte" cost, and everything is super costly there, like double/triple the price of Austria/Germany, it's very common for the ones closer to the borders to go to neighboring countries for shopping and come back.

Germany mobile providers are messed up, it's bordering on collusion, they basically haven't expanded anything, there's been no regulation to try and bring prices down, and no real competition. You'll struggle for signal in most of the country.

Places like Italy went down due to the one competitor, forgot the name right now, they're one of the cheapest in Europe now from being one of the most expensive near overnight. That competitor is why France got so cheap as well.

Austria is generally a good price, this mostly has to do with a lot of regulation and "open access"/lots of "virtual" providers just renting other's nets like T-Mobile and A1's ones.

The case with South Africa though is that based on how competition there is, pricing should have fallen more ages ago, there should be 4G/5G only packages with cheaper pricing, since most of the bundles are still the same since majority 3G and a little bit of 4G in places.

There should be more uncapped with FUP, so if tower under load you're guaranteed 2Mbps or something, you get put in priority queues based on average usage within a 30 day window / another window for last 6 hours or something. Not that difficult to implement with modern networks, just costly for first investment.

Paul Hjul

Pretty sure that graphic is horribly wrong and has fudged data polluting it.

The Kiwi's data cost on mobile is definitely less. SAs figure most certainly is fudged by big bundle product costs and probably FLTE offerings. Even the yank figure cited doesn't map with the data I've got - yank mobile data costs on your wireless carrier are quite a bit higher.

biometrics

South Africa is ranked 44th in the Global Corruption Index (57 in 2020)

B655C186-9B31-41EF-8E81-73B5987F4A44.jpeg

Johnatan56

South Africa is ranked 44th in the Global Corruption Index (57 in 2020)

View attachment 29933

Odd, South Africa became "less corrupt"
1636710488771.png
Think the issue is this is subjective, would say it's gotten worse since 2020 with home affairs and stuff.

Johnatan56

Düber

Very odd to see that South Africa no longer ranks top in billionaires in a city, weren't there 8-10 at one point a decade ago? Think South Africa is at 4 now since Oppenheimer left?
Yes that and a few other things had me questioning the accuracy of it, although I suppose you are chasing a moving target.
For example here it shows 20 Dollar billionaires in Africa, with five being in South Africa and includes the Oppenheimers.

But what was interesting to me was the amount of wealth in Morocco, I have never been there but my mother has and I don't remember her talking about it as a wealthy country. I do recall her moaning about the tour guides being a bit extortionist so perhaps they were just being aspirational .;)

Last edited: