Critical race theory (CRT)

Moosedrool

I don't agree CRT is used to teach children that they're either inherently bad because of their skin colour or that their successes wasn't earned.

It's the type of race baiting rubbish which causes division and needs to go.

EADC

I don't agree CRT is used to teach children that they're either inherently bad because of their skin colour or that their successes wasn't earned.

It does not do that, that is a lazy way of thinking, so we should only teach a censored version of history that suites a narrative? Bad things happened and still does the only thing hiding it does perpetuates bad thinking about race.

Moosedrool

It does not do that, that is a lazy way of thinking, so we should only teach a censored version of history that suites a narrative? Bad things happened and still does the only thing hiding it does perpetuates bad thinking about race.

It's not a censored version of history. Slavery and segregation are rightfully taught as being bad and failures of society. You're deliberately trying to lighten CRT in a way that suits your narrative. I'm 35 and was raised with the cognitive ability to realise how to view things from another's perspective. CRT does nothing of that and instead does this:

Also John Oliver used to be funny. Now he's the joke.

greg0205

Correct. It isn't used to teach children that they're either inherently bad... but I think you might have missed a semi-colon or full-stop there.

It's a clear-eyed look at history.

Thought experiment for you:

The Soweto riots in '76.

How much do you know about them, and how much of what you've learned taught you to hate yourself?

If your answer to the second question is 'a lot', then, maybe you have a point.

If the answer is 'not a bit at all', then you've already understood that history is what it is. It requires context to understand the dynamics of apartheid South Africa, but it doesn't make you personally responsible for the dynamics of apartheid South Africa.

That context may have made you vote 'yes' in the referendum in '92 'tho, and those are the nudges CRT hopes to evoke from folks who can look at our past, learn from it and say, 'let's try do better in future'.

EADC

It's not a censored version of history. Slavery and segregation are rightfully taught as being bad and failures of society. You're deliberately trying to lighten CRT in a way that suits your narrative. I'm 35 and was raised with the cognitive ability to realise how to view things from another's perspective. CRT does nothing of that and instead does this:

And yet things like the Tulsa race riots don't get taught unless elected to do so.

Who's perspective are you saying its bad?

Moosedrool

Correct. It isn't used to teach children that they're either inherently bad... but I think you might have missed a semi-colon or full-stop there.

It's a clear-eyed look at history.

Thought experiment for you:

The Soweto riots in '76.

How much do you know about them, and how much of what you've learned taught you to hate yourself?

If your answer to the second question is 'a lot', then, maybe you have a point.

If the answer is 'not a bit at all', then you've already understood that history is what it is. It requires context to understand the dynamics of apartheid South Africa, but it doesn't make you personally responsible for the dynamics of apartheid South Africa.

That context may have made you vote 'yes' in the referendum in '92 'tho, and those are the nudges CRT hopes to evoke from folks who can look at our past, learn from it and say, 'let's try do better in future'.

No the level of CRT didn't exist when I was raised and I appose it. Why would you think I should hate myself to have a point?

My parents voted in favour of the referendum.

What CRT is doing is trying to teach their offspring that their privilege is bad. Watch the video I posted since it's actually a serious subject.

Moosedrool

greg0205

No the level of CRT didn't exist when I was raised and I appose it. Why would you think I should hate myself to have a point?

My parents voted in favour of the referendum.

What CRT is doing is trying to teach their offspring that their privilege is bad. Watch the video I posted since it's actually a serious subject.
If you grew up in apartheid South Africa you grew up at the tip of the spear of systemic racism.

And I know you don't hate yourself. That was my way of debunking the main 'CRT BAD' pressure point.

Moosedrool

So just ignore over a hundred years of systematic racism? that to do a good job not dividing people.

No. And that's not what CRT teaches anyways.
If you grew up in apartheid South Africa you grew up at the tip of the spear of systemic racism.

And I know you don't hate yourself. That was my way of debunking the main 'CRT BAD' pressure point.
Should I?

EADC

Yeah no censored versions of history going on but CRT bad.

Critical race theory has been around since the seventies, but burst into the vernacular when Donald Trump issued an executive order last fall censuring discussion of topics related to race in federal diversity seminars provided by contractors. Then, this spring, the Texas Legislature passed a bill, authored by Steve Toth, who represents a state House district that includes Conroe ISD, targeting what he identifies as critical race theory (though the bill doesn’t use the term). The Texas law dictates that teachers must discuss current events in the classroom from both sides of each issue (if they choose to discuss them at all). It also prohibits educators from teaching material that might prompt students’ “discomfort, guilt, and anguish.”
In this way and others, a debate supposedly aimed at the esoteric academic framework of critical race theory has expanded to cover virtually any discussion of race in the classroom. The law bars teachers from connecting slavery to “anything other than deviations from, betrayals of, or failures to live up to, the authentic founding principles of the United States.” Some proponents of the new state law also believe that lessons on Texas independence should minimize the role slavery played in motivating slave-owning Texian leaders to break from Mexico—a motivation clearly discussed in the letters of some of those Texian leaders.

scudsucker

Correct.
Should I?
No, you should not.

You should be thankful that there is a means to describe history in a manner that helps people to think about how the various systems have been to a greater or lesser extent, unintentionally or intentionally, skewed in a racist manner.

It is a tool used to describe society, not a set of rules about how society should act.

Then you can be happy that you can criticise that tool as much as you want, so long as you realise what it is, and do not fall for what you appear to have been told it is.

Last edited:

Moosedrool

Meh it's the same as discussing religion.

Lol now I should be thankful. There is no place or worth for CRT. It's a joke hurricane trying to spin in the opposite direction. It doesn't help one bit. Helping people get educated in legitimate fields and making them think for themselves is worthwhile. The only result I see out of CRT is more hate from every side. Thanks.

greg0205

Should I?
Hell no!

I think I've been pretty clear on that.

You and I could have a Beer and discuss District 6, or Sharpville, or Soweto, or apartheid until the cows came home because... context. And that's all the folks talking about CRT are asking for.

Also, I specifically said "pressure point" in that post because anti-CRT messaging is all about pressure. It's crafted to stimulate your amygdala and elicit anxiety... an emotional response.

Logically you'll agree with what I just said about Sharpville or Soweto and so on, but the way CRT has been presented to you - by design - you attack a position no one is holding.

Moosedrool

Hell no!

I think I've been pretty clear on that.

You and I could have a Beer and discuss District 6, or Sharpville, or Soweto, or apartheid until the cows came home because... context. And that's all the folks talking about CRT are asking for.

Also, I specifically said "pressure point" in that post because anti-CRT messaging is all about pressure. It's crafted to stimulate your amygdala and elicit anxiety... an emotional response.

Logically you'll agree with what I just said about Sharpville or Soweto and so on, but the way CRT has been presented to you - by design - you attack a position no one is holding.

Except that that is the positions people are holding. Learning about bad history has been a thing for a while. Telling white people today they have some kind of a inherent privilege is what CRT is about and it's damaging. It has no place or value in society.

greg0205

Except that that is the positions people are holding. Learning about bad history has been a thing for a while. Telling white people today they have some kind of a inherent privilege is what CRT is about and it's damaging. It has no place or value in society.
But... But we do have an inherent privilege, Moose.

Always have.

Anecdotes about how tough some white folks have had it belies the reality of most black folks lives.

Moosedrool

But... But we do have an inherent privilege, Moose.

Always have.

Anecdotes about how tough some white folks have had it belies the reality of most black folks lives.

Tell my my inherent privilege?

You treat it in your argument like normal history. Yet don't accept the nonsense for what it is. It's the reason why these debates go nowhere.

It's an ideology designed to victimise everyone except white straight men. Intern making white straight men the antagonists of any kind of fair thinking. It's rubbish.

greg0205

Tell my my inherent privilege?

You treat it in your argument like normal history. Yet don't accept the nonsense for what it is. It's the reason why these debates go nowhere.

It's an ideology designed to victimise everyone except white straight men. Intern making white straight men the antagonists of any kind of fair thinking. It's rubbish.
The schools you went to were better, and the university you went to was better.

Your education gave you a head-start.

Getting a job was easier.

The network of folks benefitting from that education and heading into the corporate environment became junior managers, then senior managers, and then board members... A culture metastasised.

The property you and your family could acquire was in better areas.

Getting finance was easier.

The familial wealth accrued by virtue of that property ownership gave you a head-start.

Law enforcement served you, and that's why folks of a certain age reminisce about being able to walk to the shop our play in a park without bother when they were kids.

I could go on and on, but you see where I'd be going anyway.

No one is asking you to rend your garments and throw yourself into the sea because of it... we're just saying these things are a reality, and if you care to recognise that reality, how about lending a hand to help the next generation who didn't have that head-start up a little?

Last edited:

EADC

The schools you went to were better, and the university you went to was better.

Your education gave you a head-start.

Getting a job was easier.

The network of folks benefitting from that education and heading into the corporate environment became junior managers, then senior managers, and then board members... A culture metastasised.

The property you and your family could acquire was in better areas.

Getting finance was easier.

The familial wealth accrued by virtue of that property ownership gave you a head-start.

Law enforcement served you, and that's why folks of a certain age reminisce about being able to walk to the shop our play in a park without bother when they were kids.

I could go on and on, but you see where I'd be going anyway.

No one is asking you to rend your garments and throw yourself into the sea because of it... we're just saying these things are a reality, and if you care to recognise that reality, how about lending a hand to help the next generation who didn't have that head-start up a little?

I don't know why people find it so hard to acknowledge they might have had it easier than others, Have I had it easy all the time no but I am thankful for the privileges I had to make my life a little easier and for where I am today.