Coronavirus COVID-19 News specific to South Africa

biometrics

@RedViking to be clear, I live my life as if covid is a bad flu. Yeah I mask up and hand santise but I go to restaurants minimum twice a week and obviously you don't wear a mask then. I also go to my local maybe four times a week, same deal, no mask.

But I will probably mask up the rest of my life when going to shops, not getting the flu anymore is awesome!

And I was one person that thought it was going to be a blood bath in SA due to HIV, TB and our cramped townships. Surprising it did not happen. I even bought a hazmat suit back in Feb/Mar 2020... Lol

RedViking

It is odd when you need a negative PCR test to board and on arrival 10% is positive. That IS unusual
Well, what are the chances that the second set of tests are not accurate and they are in fact negative. Firstly we assume the tests done here were a false negative. Is it not possible that the tests done there were false positives?

My responses all above is a reactions to my frustration with the world governments being dictators.

biometrics

Well, what are the chances that the second set of tests are not accurate and they are in fact negative. Firstly we assume the tests done here were a false negative. Is it not possible that the tests done there were false positives?

My responses all above is a reactions to my frustration with the world governments being dictators.
I can't answer it, but clearly it doesn't make sense to have 0% on one side and 10% a day later the other side.

Johnatan56

I was under the impression traveling* to the Netherlands requires proof of vaccination. So I would assume the people on the plane was vaccinated instead of not vaccinated. So where does that leave us with the 3% of them might die?
But not traveling through, KLM was one of the few airlines you could fly to Europe with currently that also had among the best pricing (and flight times are better than e.g. Qatar and Emirates).

Vaccination reduces infection rates, mostly because active antibodies means virus gets neutralized faster, if bind quickly you won't transmit it. This is why quarantine rules are relaxed for vaccinated.
I can't answer it, but clearly it doesn't make sense to have 0% on one side and 10% a day later the other side.
More to do with PCR tests being 72 hours beforehand, you can get infected in that time, but reducing the time is difficult. The biggest issue is you're supposed to stay isolated after the PCR test, most don't.

RedViking

@RedViking to be clear, I live my life as if covid is a bad flu. Yeah I mask up and hand santise but I go to restaurants minimum twice a week and obviously you don't wear a mask then. I also go to my local maybe four times a week, same deal, no mask.

But I will probably mask up the rest of my life when going to shops, not getting the flu anymore is awesome!

And I was one person that thought it was going to be a blood bath in SA due to HIV, TB and our cramped townships. Surprising it did not happen. I even bought a hazmat suit back in Feb/Mar 2020... Lol
I think there should be a balance in life. South Africa has a culture with no limits or respect for people around them. Private space means nothing. With our without this extremely deadly virus, people should learn to give each other a bit more space. I work from home for more than a decade, public spaces are not my thing. So when I go to the shops I walk like drunk penguin to avoid people bumping into me. I like to get out because I am always home, but at the same time I hate crowded places. This is why I love the midlands. There is just so much space there.

Nicholas

They sound like a bunch of entitled 2 year olds. I'd tell them to grow the fuck up. And if the uk means so much, crack down on the evil colonial rhetoric they throw about so freely.
It does feel to me as though they are having a hissy fit about it.

Last edited:

Nicholas

1638032791740.png

I might be misinterpreting this: let's wait and see what our investigation of the new mutations reveals before ramping up precautions.

Others may say that the horse has already bolted.